Stepanakert (Armenian: Ստեփանակերտ; known as Xankəndi in Azerbaijani, and translated as Khankendi) is the capital city of the Nagorno-Karabakh Republic, a de facto independent republic. The city has about 40,000 Armenians. The entire Azerbaijani population left the city during the Nagorno-Karabakh War. It is internationally recognised as part of Azerbaijan.
| Azerbaijan (de jure)|
Nagorno-Karabakh Republic (de facto)
|• Mayor||Souren Grigoryan|
|Elevation||813 m (2,670 ft)|
- André - Armenian singer
- Armen Abaghian - academic
- Vladimir Arzumanyan - Armenian singer, winner of the Junior Eurovision Song Contest 2010
- Don Askarian - filmmaker
- Samvel Babayan - general
- Zori Balayan - writer
- Robert Kocharyan - Second President of Armenia
- Fakhraddin Manafov - actor
- Serzh Sargsyan - Third President of Armenia, incumbent
- Nikolay Yenikolopov (Yenikolopyan) - academic
- Results of 2005 census of the Nagorno-Karabakh Republic. Republic of Nagorno-Karabakh. p. 47.