Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U are two fighting video games for the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U game consoles. They were developed by Sora Ltd. and Namco Bandai Games and published by Nintendo. They act as the fourth game in the Super Smash Bros. series. The 3DS game was released on September 13, 2014. The Wii U game was released on November 21, 2014.
|Super Smash Bros.|
for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U
Bandai Namco Games
|Series||Super Smash Bros.|
|Platform(s)||Nintendo 3DS, Wii U|
Like the past games in the series, Super Smash Bros. involves characters from Nintendo series fighting against each other, with the object of knocking opponents off of the stage in some way. Characters from past Super Smash Bros. games that are in these games include Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Princess Peach, Yoshi, Link, Princess Zelda, Sheik, Toon Link, Fox McCloud, Kirby, King Dedede, Pikachu, Lucario, Charizard, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Samus Aran, Zero Suit Samus, Marth, Ike, Pit, Sonic the Hedgehog, and Olimar. There are six new characters: Villager from the Animal Crossing series, Mega Man from the Mega Man series, the Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina from the Mario series., Little Mac from the Punch-Out!! series, Greninja from the Pokémon series, the Mii, Palutena from the Kid Icarus series, and Pac-Man from the Pac-Man series. There are also many hidden characters to be unlocked dubbed "Secret Characters" by the official Super Smash Bros. Website.
The Wii U version has high-definition graphics. The Nintendo 3DS version has cel-shaded (computer graphics made to look like they were drawn by hand) graphics. Both versions have the same number of characters, but have stages that are only in either version. The Nintendo 3DS version has more stages based on Nintendo's handheld video games. The Wii U version has more stages based on their console video games. For the first time in the series, players can change the movesets of characters. They can play with characters they have changed the movesets of in single-player and with friends.
There are also downloadable characters that were released. Mewtwo, who had last appeared in Melee, was released on April 28, 2015 and was made available on April 15, 2015 for members of Club Nintendo who had purchased and registered both 3DS and Wii U versions of the game before March 31, 2015. Lucas from Mother 3, who had last appeared in Brawl, and Roy from Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade, who last appeared in Melee, made their returns and were released on June 14, 2015. Ryu from the Street Fighter series was also announced as a new character and was released alongside Lucas and Roy. On November 12, 2015, it was announced that Cloud Strife from Final Fantasy VII would be joining as a newcomer.
On April 1, 2015, a ballot was launched on the official Smash Bros website, which allowed players to nominate video game characters to be added as playable characters. The ballot's deadline was on October 3, 2015. On December 15, 2015, a special Smash Bros. broadcast was shown. Cloud Strife was released after the broadcast. Corrin from Fire Emblem Fates and Bayonetta from the series of the same name were announced as the last downloadable characters. They were released on February 3, 2016. Bayonetta was chosen as the winner of the Smash Bros. ballot. She ranked first in Europe and was among the top five in North America among "realizable" characters.
|Series||Character||3DS Home Stage||Wii U Home Stage|
|Super Mario Bros.||Mario||3D Land||Mushroom Kingdom U|
|Donkey Kong||Donkey Kong||Jungle Japes||Jungle Hijinxs|
|The Legend of Zelda||Link||Gerudo Valley||Skyloft|
|Yoshi||Yoshi||Yoshi's Island (Brawl)||Woolly Wood|
|Kirby||Kirby||Dream Land||Dream Land (64) (DLC)|
|Star Fox||Fox||Corneria||Orbital Gate Assault|
|Pokemon||Pikachu||Unova Pokemon League||Pokemon Stadium 2|
|Super Mario Bros.||Luigi||Golden Plains||Luigi's Mansion|
|F-Zero||Captain Falcon||Mute City||Port Town Aero Dive|
|Pokemon||Jigglypuff||Unova Pokemon League||Pokemon Stadium 2|
|Super Mario Bros.||Princess Peach||Paper Mario||Peach's Castle (64) (DLC)|
|Super Mario Bros.||Bowser||Mushroomy Kingdom||Mario Circuit (Brawl)|
|The Legend of Zelda||Zelda||Gerudo Valley||Temple|
|The Legend of Zelda||Sheik||Gerudo Valley||Hyrule Castle (64) (DLC)|
|Pokemon||Mewtwo (DLC)||Prism Tower||Kalos Pokemon League|
|Super Mario Bros.||Dr. Mario||Paper Mario||Delfino Plaza|
|The Legend of Zelda||Ganondorf||Gerudo Valley||Bridge of Eldin|
|Donkey Kong||Diddy Kong||Jungle Japes||Congo Jungle 64|
|The Legend of Zelda||Toon Link||Spirit Train||Pirate Ship (DLC)|
|Wario Land||Wario (Overalls)||WarioWare, Inc.||Super Mario Maker Stage (DLC)|
|Super Mario Bros.||Rosalina & Luma||Rainbow Road||Mario Galaxy|
|Super Mario Bros.||Bowser Jr.||Mushroomy Kingdom||Mario Circuit|
- Dyer, Mitch (June 10, 2014). "E3 2014: Super Smash Bros. for 3DS Delayed". IGN.
- Dyer, Mitch (April 8, 2014). "Charizard and Greninja Announced for Super Smash Bros.". IGN. Retrieved April 8, 2014.
- "Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U: Villager". Smashbros.com.
- "Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U: Mega Man". Smashbros.com.
- "Wii Fit Trainer a playable character in Super Smash Bros.". Polygon. 2013-06-07.
- "Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U: Rosalina & Luma". www.smashbros.com.
- "Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U: Little Mac". www.smashbros.com.
- "Polygon: You can import your Mii to fight in the next Super Smash Bros.". Polygon. Retrieved June 10, 2014.
- "Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U: Pac-Man". Smashbros.com. Retrieved June 10, 2014.
- "Custom Move Sets Added For Smash Bros, But Can't Be Used In Online Multiplayer Matchmaker".
- "Smash Wii U, 3DS Mewtwo DLC Priced and Dated". IGN. Retrieved 2015-6-15. Check date values in:
- "Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U: Downloadable Content Info". Super Smash Bros. Retrieved 2015-6-15. Check date values in:
- "Final Fantasy 7's Cloud Coming to Super Smash Bros Wii U, 3DS". IGN. Retrieved 2015-11-12.
- "More Smash Bros. DLC Characters on the Way, and Update 1.06 Details". GameSpot. Retrieved 2015-6-15. Check date values in:
- "Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS Character Suggestion Ballot Ends on October 3". GameSpot. Retrieved 2015-6-15. Check date values in:
- "New video from Nintendo spotlights three upcoming Super Smash Bros. fighters". Nintendo. Retrieved 2015-12-29.