Ladda Tammy Duckworth (born March 12, 1968) is an American politician. She is the United States senator from Illinois. She was a U.S. Representative for Illinois's 8th congressional district from 2013 to 2017.
|United States Senator |
|Assumed office |
January 3, 2017
Serving with Dick Durbin
|Preceded by||Mark Kirk|
|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives|
from Illinois's 8th district
January 3, 2013 – January 3, 2017
|Preceded by||Joe Walsh|
|Succeeded by||Raja Krishnamoorthi|
|Assistant Secretary of Veterans Affairs for Public and Intergovernmental Affairs|
April 24, 2009 – June 30, 2011
|Preceded by||Lisette Mondello|
|Succeeded by||Michael Galloucis|
|Director of the Illinois Department of Veterans Affairs|
November 21, 2006 – February 8, 2009
|Preceded by||Roy Dolgos|
|Succeeded by||Daniel Grant|
Ladda Tammy Duckworth
March 12, 1968
|Alma mater||University of Hawaii, Manoa|
George Washington University
Northern Illinois University
|Branch/service|| United States Army|
Illinois Army National Guard
|Years of service||1992–2014|
|Unit||106th Aviation Regiment, 28th Infantry Division|
|Battles/wars||Iraq War (WIA)|
|Awards|| Purple Heart|
Meritorious Service Medal
Army Commendation Medal with Oak leaf cluster
Army Reserve Components Achievement Medal with four Oak leaf clusters
Combat Action Badge
Senior Army Aviator Badge
A member of the Democratic Party, she is the first Asian American woman elected to Congress in Illinois, the first disabled woman to be elected to the U.S. House of Representatives, and the first member of Congress born in Thailand.
Duckworth ran for the United States senate seat against the current senator Mark Kirk in the 2016 Illinois senate elections. On November 8, 2016, she defeated Kirk in his bid for re-election to his U.S. Senate seat.
In April 2018, Duckworth gave birth to her daughter Maile, making her the first U.S. Senator to give birth while in office.
- Brown, Mark (February 14, 2007). "Duckworth's husband Iraq-bound". Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved 2007-03-27.
- Giroux, Gregory (August 13, 2015). "Senate Watch: Illinois Republican Mark Kirk Facing Tough Re-Election Challenge". Bloomberg Politics. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- Stack, Liam (April 9, 2018). "Tammy Duckworth Becomes First U.S. Senator to Give Birth While in Office". The New York Times. Retrieved April 10, 2018.
- Sullivan, Sean (2020-07-05). "Duckworth emerging as a contender to be Biden's running mate". Washington Post. Retrieved 2020-07-07.
Media related to Tammy Duckworth at Wikimedia Commons
- Official U.S. House website
- Tammy Duckworth for Senate
- Tammy Duckworth at Ballotpedia
- Biography at WhoRunsGov.com at The Washington Post
- Biography at the Biographical Directory of the United States Congress
- Voting record maintained by The Washington Post
- Biography, voting record, and interest group ratings at Vote Smart
- Congressional profile at GovTrack.us
- Congressional profile at OpenCongress
- Issue positions and quotes at On The Issues
- Financial information at OpenSecrets.org
- Campaign finance reports and data at the Federal Election Commission
- Appearances at the Internet Movie Database
- Collected news and commentary at The New York Times
- Works by or about Tammy Duckworth in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- Profile at Notable Names Database
- Profile at Ballotpedia
- Duckworth participates in panel discussion, Returning Veterans at the Pritzker Military Museum & Library