Udit Narayan Jha (Nepali: उदित नारायण झा) (born 1 December 1955) also known as Udit Narayan is a Nepalese playback singer of Nepalese heritage as his paternal descent, whose songs have been featured mainly in Bollywood movies of Hindi language. He has sung more than 25000 songs in 36 languages languages including Nepali, Maithili and Bhojpuri. Beginning his career in 1970s when he stared his career as a folk singer in Nepal for Radio Nepal. Later in 1978 he travelled Bomabay(Now Mumabai), India on a music scholarship from Indian Embassy in Kathamandu,Nepal .His debut in Bollywood was in year 1980 from movie Unees-Bees. He has won 5 National Film Awards (of which 4 as a singer, for 2 songs in 2001, 1 each in 2002 and 2004 along with 1 as a producer in 2005) and 5 Filmfare Awards with 20 nominations and many other awards. He had to struggle a lot even after his debut in 1980 in Bollywood playback. He got to sing with legends Mohammed Rafi in his Bollywood Playback debut in movie Unees-Bees in 1980 and also with Kishore Kumar in 1980s. He finally made his mark in 1988 movie Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak starring Aamir Khan and Juhi Chawla, his song Papa Kehte Hai was his notable performance which earned him his first Filmfare Award in the 1980s and he established himself in Bollywood Playback Singing. He is the only male singer in the history of the Filmfare Awards to have won in over three decades (the 1980s, 1990s and 2000s)
Udit Narayan Jha
Udit Narayan in 2015
Udit Narayan Jha
1 December 1955
|Education||Ratna Rajya Lakshmi Campus, Kathmandu, Nepal|
|Height||1.65 m (5 ft 5 in)|
|Children||Aditya Narayan (son)|
|Parent(s)||Hare Krishna Jha (Father) and Bhuwaneshwari Devi (Mother)|
After the success of the movie Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak in 1988 which turned out to be All Time Blockbuster movie in Bollywood with more than 8 million sales of the sound track being one of the highest selling albums in the 1980s. The soundtrack was a breakthrough for the careers of Anand-Milind, as well as T-Series, one of India's leading record labels. after which he was one of the favourites of music directors. His originality of voice was appreciated by all of the music lovers across the globe. Since his childhood he had idols as Lata Mangeshkar, Asha Bhosle, Mohammed Rafi, Kishore Kumar whom he'd listen on his radio. In the 1990s he sung for a thousands of songs including Hindi and Nepali languages. Recognising his contribution, his majesty King of Nepal Birendra Bir Bikram Shah Dev awarded him with the Prabal Gorkha Dakshin Bahu in 2001 after which for his contribution to Indian cinema and music he was awarded the Padma Shri in 2009, and in 2016 he was awarded the Padma Bhushan by the Government of India, an honour that has been awarded to only a handful of singers, in recognition of his achievements in various film industries across India. and Chitragupta Cineyatra Samman 2015 for Bhojpuri Cinema. As many as 21 of his tracks feature in BBC's "Top 40 Bollywood Soundtracks of all time".
Udit Narayan was born in 2012 BS / 1955 AD to Nepali father Hare Krishna jha and Indian mother Bhuwaneshwari jha . Udit Narayan himself clarified that during the middle of 1950s Heavy rainfalls brought flood in Koshi river in Bhardaha,Nepal. So Narayan family shifted to maternal grandparents'house. During this period he was born at his maternal grandparents'Home.After few years Narayan family returned back to Nepal and lived there. He and his father Hare Krishna jha was a native of Bhardaha, saptari district, province No-2,Nepal. Narayan studied at jageshwar High school Kunauli,supaul,Bihar India and later obtained his intermediate degree from Ratna Rajya Laxmi Campus Kathmandu Nepal.
- "Aditya bakes a cake for father Udit Narayan on birthday". Mid Day. 3 December 2015. Retrieved 15 June 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- UDIT NARAYAN – “The legend” | The New York City Post
- Udit Narayan’s Indian citizenship questioned | TwoCircles.net
- Artistes have no borders, Udit Narayan tells Nepal - Times of India
- "Singer Udit Narayan accosted by 'first' wife". Daily News and Analysis. Retrieved 13 June 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Sa Re Ga Ma Pa L'il Champs' Aditya Narayan: Today people know me by my name". Retrieved 13 June 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Awards and nominations
- Udit Narayan | Discography & Songs | Discogs
- Udit Narayan Jha | dhakatopi.com
- "Udit Narayan: Latest News, Videos and Udit Narayan Photos - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 26 October 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Udit Narayan National award". Retrieved 26 October 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Udit Narayan to receive India's Padma Bhushan".
- "India Today". India Today. Living Media. 18: 52. 1993.
Anand-Milind did six films before hitting the jackpot with Qayamat se Qayamat Tak in 1988.
- Booth, Gregory D. (2008). Behind the Curtain: Making Music in Mumbai's Film Studios. Oxford University Press. p. 80. ISBN 978-0-19-971665-4.
- "Seven years after Padma Shree, Udit Narayan honoured with Padma Bhushan". Retrieved 26 October 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Padma Awards" (PDF). Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2015. Retrieved 21 July 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- BBC. "BBC - Asian Network - Top 40 Soundtracks of All Time". www.bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 26 October 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Udit Narayan.|