Vietnamese Australians (Vietnamese: Người Úc gốc Việt) are Australians who have ancestors who were originally Vietnamese, or people who went to Australia from Vietnam. Communities of overseas Vietnamese are referred to as Việt Kiều or người Việt hải ngoại.
|294,798 By ancestry (2016 census)|
1.4% of the Australian population
262,910 Born in Vietnam (2019)
|Regions with significant populations|
|Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Newcastle, Canberra|
|Australian English, Vietnamese|
|Buddhism, Christianity, Irreligion, Taoism, Confucianism|
History in Australia Edit
Up until 1975 there were fewer than 700 Vietnam-born people in Australia. After the takeover of South Vietnam by the North Vietnamese communist government in April 1975, Australia, being a signatory to the Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees, agreed to resettle its share of Vietnam-born refugees under a plan to resettle refugees between 1975 and 1985. After the early intake of refugees in the late 1970s, there was a second immigration wave in 1983–84, most likely a result of the 1982 agreement between the Australian and Vietnamese governments (the Orderly Departure Program) which allowed relatives of Vietnamese Australians to leave Vietnam and move to Australia. A third immigration wave in the late 1980s seems to have been mainly due to Australia's family reunion scheme.
- "2016 Census Community Profiles: Australia". www.censusdata.abs.gov.au. Archived from the original on 2017-08-05. Retrieved 2021-06-13.
- Migration, Australia
- "Timeline of Vietnamese Immigration". ABC News.
- "4102.0 – Australian Social Trends, 1994 : Population Growth: Birthplaces of Australia's settlers". Australian Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 14 March 2008.
Other websites Edit
- Vietnamese Community in Australia
- The Vietnamese in Australia
- Gold & Silver: Vietnamese migration and relationships with environments in Vietnam and Sydney
- Vietnamese Queenslanders. Short (3-4mins) digital stories from 5 Vietnamese Queenslanders, a project from the Queensland Vietnamese community and the State Library of Queensland.
- Ashley Carruthers – Australian National University (2008). "Vietnamese". Dictionary of Sydney. Dictionary of Sydney Trust. Retrieved 4 October 2015. [CC-By-SA] (History of Vietnamese in Sydney)