capital city of Croatia
Zagreb is the capital city and the largest city of the country of Croatia. It has a population of 792.000 people and its metropolitan area (Zagreb County, Krapina-Zagorje County and Sisak-Moslavina County) has a population of 1.2 million (2005).
The first mention of the name Zagreb appeared in 1094.
Zagreb is officially twinned with the following towns and cities:
- Mainz, Germany, since 1967
- Saint Petersburg, Russia, since 1968)
- Tromsø, Norway, since 1971
- Kyoto, Japan, since 1972
- Kraków, Poland, since 1975
- Lisbon, Portugal, since 1977
- Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, U.S., since 1980
- Shanghai, China, since 1980
- Bologna, Italy, since 1984
- Budapest, Hungary, since 1994
- Vienna, Austria, since 1994
- Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina, since 2001
- Ljubljana, Slovenia, since 2001
- Podgorica, Montenegro, since 2006
- ↑ "Zagreb sister cities". Archived from the original on 2007-09-28. Retrieved 2007-02-17.