|Centuries:||10th century – 11th century – 12th century|
|Decades:||1020s 1030s 1040s – 1050s – 1060s 1070s 1080s|
|Years:||1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059|
|Categories:||Births – Deaths – Architecture|
Establishments – Disestablishments
- Hedeby is sacked by King Harald Hardraade of Norway during the course of a conflict with King Eric Estridsson of Denmark.
- King Anund Jacob of Sweden is succeeded by Emund the Old. (See Swedish monarchs.)
- 1051 Zenkunen War starts in Japan. It will continue until the early 1060s. Part of Clan disputes of the Heian period.
- A powerful supernova is observed. It is so bright that it can be seen in daylight. The supernova remnant left by the event is now known as the Crab Nebula.
- Pope Leo IX and Michael Cerularius, Patriarch of Constantinople, decree each other's excommunication, finalising the Great Schism between the Catholic and Orthodox Churches.
- Seljuk Turks capture Baghdad.
- Pope Victor II attains papacy.
- Change of Scottish Monarch from Macbeth to Lulach
- Pope Victor II dies, Pope Stephen IX attains papacy.