|Centuries:||17th century – 18th century – 19th century|
|Decades:||1760s 1770s 1780s – 1790s – 1800s 1810s 1820s|
|Years:||1789 1790 1791 – 1792 – 1793 1794 1795|
- March 11 - The city of Freetown is founded in Sierra Leone.
- April 2 - The Coinage Act of 1792 standardizes the U.S. currency.
- June 1 - Kentucky becomes a U.S. state.
- September 22 - The Kingdom of France is replaced by the French First Republic.
- Unknown - James Johnstone proves that Vancouver Island is an island.
- April 4 - Thaddeus Stevens, American Republican politician
- May 13 - Pope Pius IX, 256th Pope
- June 15 – Thomas Livingstone Mitchell, Australian explorer
- July 10 - George M. Dallas, 11th Vice President of the United States
- August 18 - John Russell, 1st Earl Russell, English politician
- October 20 - John Pascoe Fawkner, pioneer and politician who started the city of Melbourne
- December 6 - William II of the Netherlands, King of the Netherlands and Grand Duke of Luxembourg