The year of 1898 was a common year (a year that had 365 days), and began on a Saturday.
|Centuries:||18th century – 19th century – 20th century|
|Decades:||1860s 1870s 1880s – 1890s – 1900s 1910s 1920s|
|Years:||1895 1896 1897 – 1898 – 1899 1900 1901|
- January 1 – New York City creates the City of Greater New York.
- February 12 – Henry Lindfield dies in England, and is the first person to die from a car accident.
- March 24 – Robert Allison of Port Carbon, Pennsylvania becomes the first person to buy a car built in America.
- March 26 – The Sabi Game Reserve is created in South America, and becomes the first official game reserve.
- April 25 – The United States declares war on Spain.
- June 12 – The Republic of the Philippines declares official independence from Spain during the Spanish-American War.