2021 Liberal Democratic Party (Japan) leadership election
political party leadership elections in Japan
The 2021 Liberal Democratic Party leadership election was held on 29 September 2021 to elect the next President of the Liberal Democratic Party of Japan. The winner of the election is expected to lead the party in the upcoming 2021 Japanese general election. Current party President and Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga announced on September 3 that he would not run for re-election. Former Minister of Foreign Affairs Fumio Kishida was elected party leader and will become Prime Minister on 4 October.
2021 Liberal Democratic Party (Japan) Leadership election round 1,2
|Candidate(s)||Notable positions||Party faction(s)||District(s)||Announced||Reference(s)|
|Fumio Kishida||Member of the House of Representatives (since 1993)
Minister of Foreign Affairs (2012–2017)
Acting Defense Minister (2017)
|Kōchikai||Hiroshima 1st district||26 August|||
|Sanae Takaichi||Member of the House of Representatives (since 2005)
Minister of Internal Affairs and Communications (2019–2020)
|none||Nara 2nd district||26 August|||
|Taro Kono||Member of the House of Representatives (since 1996)
Chair of the National Public Safety Commission (2015–2016)
Minister for Foreign Affairs (2017–2019)
Minister of Defense (2019–2020)
Minister for Administrative Reform & Regulatory Reform (since 2020)
|Shikōkai||Kanagawa's 15th district||3 September|||
|Seiko Noda||Member of the House of Representatives (since 1993)
Minister of Internal Affairs and Communications (2017–2018)
|None||Gifu 1st district||5 September|||
|Candidate(s)||Notable positions||Party faction(s)||District(s)||Announced||Withdrew||Reference(s)|
|Yoshihide Suga||Prime Minister
Member of the House of Representatives
|none||Kanagawa 2nd district||17 July||3 September
|Candidate||1st Round||2nd Round|
|Diet members||Party members||Total points||Diet members||Prefectural chapters||Total points|
|Votes cast||%||Popular votes||%||Allocated votes||%||Total votes||%||Votes cast||%||Votes cast||%||Total votes||%|
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "PM Suga, Kishida to vie for LDP leadership in Sept. 29 election". Kyodo News+. 26 August 2021. Retrieved 29 August 2021.
- ↑ "'Suga decides not to run in LDP leadership race". NHK World-Japan. 3 September 2021. Retrieved 3 September 2021.
- ↑ "Fumio Kishida to Become Japan's Next Prime Minister After Party Election Win". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 29 September 2021.
- ↑ Sugiyama, Satoshi (26 August 2021). "Fumio Kishida enters LDP leadership race as party sets voting plan". The Japan Times. Retrieved 29 August 2021.
- ↑ Johnston, Eric (27 August 2021). "Off to the races: LDP presidential election campaign begins". The Japan Times. Retrieved 29 August 2021.
- ↑ "【速報】河野行改相 総裁選出馬の意向固める". TBS.co.jp. 3 September 2021. Archived from the original on 3 September 2021. Retrieved 3 September 2021.
- ↑ "自民 野田聖子幹事長代行 総裁選立候補の意欲伝える". NKH.or. Retrieved 5 September 2021.
- ↑ "'No surprise': Suga indicates intention to run for another term as LDP leader". The Japan Times. 17 July 2021. Retrieved 29 August 2021.
- ↑ "Yoshihide Suga to step down as Japan's prime minister". BBC News. 2021-09-03. Retrieved 2021-09-04.
- ↑ "第27代自民党総裁に岸田文雄衆議院議員が決定" (in Japanese). The Liberal Democratic Party of Japan. Retrieved 29 September 2021.
- ↑ "党員投票開票結果" (PDF) (in Japanese). The Liberal Democratic Party of Japan. Archived from the original (PDF) on 30 September 2021. Retrieved 29 September 2021.