2036 (MMXXXVI) will be a leap year starting on Tuesday of the Gregorian calendar, the 2036th year of the Common Era (CE) and Anno Domini (AD) designations, the 36th year of the 3rd millennium, the 36th year of the 21st century, and the 7th year of the 2030s decade.
|Centuries:||20th century – 21st century – 22nd century|
|Decades:||2000s 2010s 2020s – 2030s – 2040s 2050s 2060s|
|Years:||2033 2034 2035 – 2036 – 2037 2038 2039|
Predicted and scheduled events change
- 2036 Summer Olympics will be held.
- February 7 06:28:16 UTC – Network Time Protocol will loop over to the next epoch, as the 32-bit time stamp value used in NTP will overflow.
- April – A METI message Cosmic Call 2 sent from the 70-meter Eupatoria Planetary Radar arrives at its destination, HIP 4872 star.
- April 13 – close approach to Earth by asteroid 99942 Apophis.
In fiction change
- Fringe Episode 4x19 "Letters of Transit" takes place in the year 2036, where the Observers are in control of everyone else.
- The 1936 film Things to Come depicts 2036 as a time when humans live in underground cities and fire the first spacecraft to the Moon from a giant space gun.
- Most of the Once Upon a Time Machine episode of the 1987 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon series is set in the year 2036. It's an era of peace and without any crimes in New York City, when Shredder, Bebop and Rocksteady travel in time from 1991 to 2036 in an attempt to rule the future.
- Zenon Kar, of the Zenon books and films, is born this year.
- In the game Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow for Nintendo DS, Dracula is set to be revived this year.
- The events of the movie Android take place.
- The popular Epcot ride, Mission: Space, takes place this year.
- John Titor supposedly time travels back to the winter of 1975 to retrieve an IBM 5100 computer which he claimed was needed to "debug" various legacy computer programs in 2036.
- According to Lt. Commander Data in the pilot episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation, this year the United Nations resolved that "No person shall be made to answer for the crimes of their race or forebears." The entity Q scoffs at this, saying this was a court of 2079, when the U.N. no longer existed. Complicating this argument is that the date of 2079 in Trek lore is 16 years after the events of Star Trek: First Contact, when extraterrestrial life has already been discovered and is assisting humanity to recover from the Third World War.
- Rest easy, Earthlings: Slim impact odds further reduced
- "– Fringepedia Page". Archived from the original on 2013-01-14. Retrieved 2013-01-02.
- Ninjaturtles – Once Upon a Time Machine