The year 3 (III) was a common year which started on a Monday. according to the Julian calendar. According to the Gregorian calendar, it started on a Wednesday. At the time, it was known as the Year of the Consulship of Lamia and Servilius. The year is called 3 since the early medieval period, when the Anno Domini calendar era became the usual method in Europe for naming years. It was the 3rd year of the 1st century.
|Centuries:||1st century BC – 1st century – 2nd century|
|Decades:||20s BC 10s BC 0s BC – 0s – 10s 20s 30s|
|Years:||1 BC 1 AD 2 AD – 3 AD – 4 AD 5 AD 6 AD|
|Gregorian calendar||AD 3|
|Ab urbe condita||756|
|Balinese saka calendar||N/A|
|Chinese calendar||壬戌年 (Water Dog)|
2699 or 2639
— to —
癸亥年 (Water Pig)
2700 or 2640
|Coptic calendar||−281 – −280|
|Ethiopian calendar||−5 – −4|
|- Vikram Samvat||59–60|
|- Shaka Samvat||N/A|
|- Kali Yuga||3103–3104|
|Iranian calendar||619 BP – 618 BP|
|Islamic calendar||638 BH – 637 BH|
|Julian calendar||AD 3|
|Minguo calendar||1909 before ROC|
|Seleucid era||314/315 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||545–546|
129 or −252 or −1024
— to —
130 or −251 or −1023
|The Simple English Wiktionary has a definition for: three.|
- The rule of Augustus is renewed for a ten-year period.
- Augustus adopts his grandson, Gaius Caesar, with the expectation that he will succeed him. Gaius is made proconsul and is sent on a special mission to the East.
- Lucius Aelius Lamia is consul of Rome
- Marcus Valerius Messalla Messallinus is consul of Rome
- Menneas becomes Archon of Athens
- Five German tribes are unified by Marbod, King of the Marcomanni. The unification of the five tribes represents a direct threat to Rome in the area that will become Silesia and Saxony.
- Wang Mang foils a plot by his son,Wang Yu, his brother-in-law, Lu Kuan, and the Wei clan to remove him from the regent's position. Wang Yu and Lu Kuan are killed in the purge that follows.