Year 376 (CCCLXXVI) was a leap year starting on Friday of the Julian calendar.
|Centuries:||3rd century – 4th century – 5th century|
|Decades:||340s 350s 360s – 370s – 380s 390s 400s|
|Years:||373 374 375 – 376 – 377 378 379|
- Gothic War: Emperor Valens lets the Visigothic chieftain Fritigern and his people cross the Danube from Thrace. They can live in Lower Moesia if they provide soldiers to the legions.
- The Greuthungi, led by Alatheus and Saphrax, ask for help from the Roman Empire. They are refused.
- The Romans fail to disarm the Visigoths. The Goths break out of their containment area along the Danube. They go south towards the region near Marcianople (Bulgaria).
- Lupicinus, Comes (Count) of Thrace, tries to bring the Visigoths back under control. He invites Fritigern and the Gothic leaders to a banquet. During the feast Lupicinus tries to kill the Gothics. Fritigern escapes.
- Lupicinus attacks the Visigoths. His force (5,000 men) is defeated. The Goths get Roman armour and weapons. Fritigern marches south towards Adrianople (Turkey).
- Winter – Fritigern tries to siege Adrianople.
- Zhang Tianxi, ruler of Former Liang, submits to Fu Jiān of Former Qin, thus ending the state of Former Liang. Zhang is made "Marquess of Guiyi".
- China is divided between the Former Qin in the north and the Eastern Jin in the south.
- Cyril of Alexandria, patrairch and theologian (d. 444)
- Ermanaric, king of the Gothic Greuthungi
- Theodosius the Elder, Roman general
- Tuoba Shiyijian, prince of the Tuoba Dai (b. 320)
- Yuan Hong, historian and politician of the Jin Dynasty (b. 328)