8 (VIII) is a leap year of the Julian calendar which started on a Sunday. According to the Gregorian calendar, it started on a Tuesday. It was the 8th year of the 1st century.
|Centuries:||1st century BC – 1st century – 2nd century|
|Decades:||20s BC 10s BC 0s BC – 0s – 10s 20s 30s|
|Years:||AD 5 AD 6 AD 7 – AD 8 – AD 9 AD 10 AD 11|
|Gregorian calendar||AD 8|
|Ab urbe condita||761|
|Balinese saka calendar||N/A|
|Chinese calendar||丁卯年 (Fire Rabbit)|
2704 or 2644
— to —
戊辰年 (Earth Dragon)
2705 or 2645
|Coptic calendar||−276 – −275|
|- Vikram Samvat||64–65|
|- Shaka Samvat||N/A|
|- Kali Yuga||3108–3109|
|Iranian calendar||614 BP – 613 BP|
|Islamic calendar||633 BH – 632 BH|
|Julian calendar||AD 8|
|Minguo calendar||1904 before ROC|
|Seleucid era||319/320 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||550–551|
134 or −247 or −1019
— to —
135 or −246 or −1018
- August 3 – Roman general Tiberius defeats Dalmatians on the river Bathinus.
- Vipsania Julia is exiled. Lucius Aemilius Paullus and his family are disgraced. Augustus breaks off engagement of Claudius to Paullus' daughter Aemilia Lepida.
- Effort is made to betrothe Claudius to Livia Medullina
- Marcus Furius Camillus, Sextus Nonius Quinctilianus, suff. Lucius Apronius become Roman Consuls.
- Roman poet Ovid is banished from Rome and exiled to the Black Sea near Tomis (present-day Constanţa).
- Ovid begins the Fasti (Festivals), 6 books that detail the first 6 months of the year.
- Tincomarus, deposed king of the Atrebates, flees Britain for Rome; Eppillus becomes king.
- Start of Chushi era of the Chinese Han Dynasty.
- Wang Mang seizes power in China and establishes the short-lived Xin Dynasty.
- China invents paper, which is first used by the military.
- Titus Flavius Sabinus, Roman consul and brother of emperor Vespasian (d. 69)
- Marcus Valerius Messalla Corvinus, Roman general (b. 64 BC).
- ↑ "CalendarHome.com - 8". calendarhome.com. 2011. Retrieved August 23, 2011.
- ↑ "year 8 - Wolfram|Alpha". wolframalpha.com. 2011. Retrieved August 23, 2011.