Clockwise from top left: Durban CBD, Ushaka Marine World, Suncoast Casino and Entertainment World, Moses Mabhida Stadium, Inkosi Albert Luthuli International Convention Centre and Durban City Hall.
|• Mayor||Zandile Gumede (ANC)|
|• City||225.91 km2 (87.22 sq mi)|
|• Metro||2,292 km2 (885 sq mi)|
|• Density||2,600/km2 (6,800/sq mi)|
|• Metro density||1,700/km2 (4,300/sq mi)|
|Racial makeup (2011)|
|• Black African||51.1%|
|First languages (2011)|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (SAST)|
|Postal code (street)||4001|
|GDP||US$ 63.9 billion |
|GDP per capita||US$ 15,575|
It is thought that the first known inhabitants of the Durban area arrived from the north around 100,000 BC, according to carbon dating of rock art found in caves in the Drakensberg. These people lived in the central plains of KwaZulu-Natal until the expansion of Bantu people from the north sometime during the last millennium.
Durban's sister cities are:
- "Chronological order of town establishment in South Africa based on Floyd (1960:20–26)" (PDF). pp. xlv–lii.
- "Main Place Durban". Census 2011.
- "Global city GDP 2014". Brookings Institution. Archived from the original on 4 June 2013. Retrieved 18 November 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Durban.|
- Official Durban city website
- Durban Art Deco Directory
- Accommodation in Durban
- Durban harbour
- Google Maps
- durbanscouts.za.net Events, culture, news and information from Durban
- Business in Durban
- Durban Shack Dwellers' Organisation
- South Africa Today A YouTube Channel giving news updates on SA's high crime situation for tourists, business and media. Based in Durban, South Africa.