El Paso, Texas
El Paso is a city in the U.S. state of Texas. It is the county seat (the city where the county is governed) of El Paso County. It is in the far southwestern part of the U.S. state of Texas, along Interstate 10. The name comes from "El Paso de Norte", meaning The Passageway to the North.
El Paso, Texas
|City of El Paso|
|Settled as Franklin||1849|
|Renamed El Paso||1852|
|Town laid out||1859|
|• City Council|
|• City manager||Tommy Gonzalez|
|• City||259.25 sq mi (671.46 km2)|
|• Land||258.43 sq mi (669.33 km2)|
|• Water||0.82 sq mi (2.13 km2)|
|Elevation||3,740 ft (1,140 m)|
|• Rank||23rd in the United States|
6th in Texas
|• Density||2,626.69/sq mi (1,014.17/km2)|
|• Metro||868,859 (67th)|
|Time zone||UTC−07:00 (MST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−06:00 (MDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1380946|
|Primary airport||El Paso International Airport (ELP)|
|Secondary airport||Biggs Army Airfield (KBIF)|
The large majority of the city's inhabitants are Hispanic. The 2020 population from the U.S. Census Bureau was 678,815, making it the 23rd-largest city in the United States, the sixth-largest city in Texas, and the second-largest city in the Southwestern United States behind Phoenix, Arizona. The city is also the second-largest majority-Hispanic city in the United States, with 81% of its population being Hispanic.
El Paso won the All-America City Award five times: 1969, 2010, 2018, 2020, and 2021.
- "Visit El Paso, Texas". El Paso Convention & Visitors Bureau. Retrieved November 6, 2013.
- "El Chuco tells of El Paso pachuco history – Ramon Renteria". El Paso Times. June 30, 2013. Archived from the original on February 1, 2014. Retrieved January 5, 2014.
- "2019 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved August 7, 2020.
- "QuickFacts: El Paso city, Texas". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 21 August 2021.
- "2020 Population and Housing State Data". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 22 August 2021.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. October 25, 2007. Retrieved January 31, 2008.
- "P2: HISPANIC OR LATINO, AND NOT HISPANIC OR LATINO BY RACE". 2020 Census. United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on October 16, 2021. Retrieved 10 October 2021.