Hamilton College is a private, independent, liberal arts college in Clinton, New York. In 2007, U.S. News & World Report ranked Hamilton the 17th best liberal arts college in the United States. The college is known for its emphasis on writing and speaking. The school was founded in 1793, chartered as Hamilton College in 1812, and has been coeducational since 1978, when it merged with Kirkland College.
Motto in English
|Endowment||$635.2 million (2012) |
|President||Joan Hinde Stewart|
|Annual Fees||$55,620 (2012–2013)|
|Colors||Buff and Blue|
The Sacerdote Great Names Series at HamiltonEdit
Starting in 1996 the Sacerdote Great Names Series has brought some of the most sought after speakers to campus for presentations. While most of these have been in the form of speeches, they have also included concerts by B. B. King and Aretha Franklin.
To date the speakers that have been part of this series are:
- Jon Stewart, November 14, 2008 (announced)
- Aretha Franklin, April 5, 2008
- Al Gore, April 26, 2007
- Tom Brokaw, April 27, 2006
- Bill Clinton, November 9, 2004
- Bill Cosby, October 15, 2003
- Rudolph Giuliani, September 24, 2002
- Madeleine Albright, March 6, 2002
- Jimmy Carter, April 30, 2001
- Desmond Tutu, April 11, 2000
- Lady Margaret Thatcher, December 9, 1999
- B.B. King, October 20, 1998
- F.W. de Klerk, April 8, 1998
- Elie Wiesel, April 3, 1997
- James Carville, and Mary Matalin October 15, 1996
- Colin Powell, April 1, 1996
Facts and Figures about the College CommunityEdit
|Applicants for class of 2011||~4,962|
|Target entering class size:||435 (as of 2007)|
|Acceptance rate:||28% (for the Class of 2011)|
|High school rank:||84% were in the top 10%|
|High school public to private ratio:||60-40|
- Official website
- Hamilton College Wiki
- America's Best Colleges 2008, Hamilton College At A Glance Archived 2008-07-25 at the Wayback Machine
- Graduates for a Greener Hamilton Archived 2008-09-17 at the Wayback Machine
- Hamilton College Alumni for Governance Reform Archived 2008-09-30 at the Wayback Machine
- As of June 30, 2012. "U.S. and Canadian Institutions Listed by Fiscal Year 2012 Endowment Market Value and Percentage Change in Endowment Market Value from FY 2011 to FY 2012" (PDF). 2012 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments. National Association of College and University Business Officers. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-02-16. Retrieved 2013-10-21.
- Office of Financial Aid (2001-08-15). "Financial Aid - Tuition and Fees - Hamilton College". Hamilton.edu. Retrieved 2013-07-13.
- Annual report from US News and World report.