2003 (MMIII) was a common year starting on Wednesday of the Gregorian calendar, the 2003rd year of the Common Era (CE) and Anno Domini (AD) designations, the 3rd year of the 3rd millennium, the 3rd year of the 21st century, and the 4th year of the 2000s decade.
|Centuries:||20th century – 21st century – 22nd century|
|Decades:||1970s 1980s 1990s – 2000s – 2010s 2020s 2030s|
|Years:||2000 2001 2002 – 2003 – 2004 2005 2006|
- January 1 – Pascal Couchepin becomes President of the Confederation in Switzerland.
- February 1 – Space Shuttle Columbia was destroyed during re-entry. All seven astronauts on board died.
- February 4 the Hindu minority of Bnagladesh declare the sovereign state of Bangabhumi, recognised by UNPO.
- July 10 – Wikibooks, a project of the Wikimedia Foundation, was created.
- October 30 – Wicked has its first show at the Gershwin Theatre in Broadway.
Nobel prize winnersEdit
- Chemistry – Peter Agre
- Chemistry – Roderick MacKinnon
- Economics – Robert F. Engle III
- Economics – Clive W.J. Granger
- Literature – J. M. Coetzee
- Medicine – Paul C. Lauterbur
- Medicine – Sir Peter Mansfield
- Peace – Shirin Ebadi
- Physics – Alexei A. Abrikosov
- Physics – Vitaly L. Ginzburg
- Physics – Anthony J. Leggett
- January 12 – Maurice Gibb, British musician (Bee Gees) (b. 1949)
- January 17 - Richard Crenna, American actor (b. 1926)
- January 20 – Al Hirschfeld, American cartoonist (b. 1903)
- February 1 – Crew of Space Shuttle Columbia: Rick D. Husband, William C. McCool, Michael P. Anderson, Ilan Ramon, Kalpana Chawla, David M. Brown, Laurel Clark
- February 27 – Fred Rogers, American children's television host (b. 1928)
- June 12 – Gregory Peck, American actor (b. 1916)
- June 26 – Strom Thurmond, U.S. Senator (b. 1902)
- June 29 – Katharine Hepburn, American actress (b. 1907)
- July 25 – John Schlesinger, English movie director (b. 1926)
- August 16 – Idi Amin, Ugandan dictator
- September 12 – Johnny Cash, American singer and guitarist (b. 1932)
- September 23 – Shawn Lane, American musician
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2003.|