leap year starting on Wednesday
|Centuries:||19th century – 20th century – 21st century|
|Decades:||1870s 1880s 1890s – 1900s – 1910s 1920s 1930s|
|Years:||1905 1906 1907 – 1908 – 1909 1910 1911|
- January 1 – A ball signifying New Year's Day drops in New York City's Times Square for the first time.
- January 8 – A train collision occurs in the Park Avenue Tunnel in New York City killing 17, injuring 38 and leading to increased demand for electric trains.
- January 11 – Grand Canyon National Monument is created.
- January 12 – A long-distance radio message is sent from the Eiffel Tower for the first time.
- January 15 – Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, the first Greek-letter organization by and for Black college women is established.
- January 21 – New York City passes a law, the Sullivan Ordinance, making it illegal for aliens to smoke in public only to be vetoed by the mayor.
- January 24 – Robert Baden-Powell begins the Boy Scout movement.
- February 1 – King Carlos I of Portugal and Crown Prince Luis are shot in Lisbon.
- February 11 – Australia regain The Ashes with a 308 run cricket victory over England.
- February 18 – Japanese immigration to USA forbidden.
- Philippe's, a restaurant opens in Los Angeles.
- St. Albans City F.C. founded.
- Ilya Ilyich Mechnikov, Russian biologist, and Paul Ehrlich, Germany, won the 1908 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine