Ice cream is a frozen dessert made from cream, with added flavors and sweeteners. This mixture is quickly frozen while it is stirred, so that large ice crystals do not form. Some ice cream is made with carrageenan, a gum found in seaweed so that it is not sticky.
History of ice creamEdit
Ice cream was first eaten as early as 500 B.C in Persia. In the Achaemid Empire, an ancient Persian empire, ice cream was made of ice combined with flavorings. Just like modern ice cream, this type of ice cream is eaten during summer. In 400 BC, the Persians invented a special type of ice cream reserved to the royalty during summers. This type of ice cream is made of rose water and vermicelli. The ice in this particular ice cream was mixed with saffron, fruits, and various other flavors.
Rise in popularity of ice creamEdit
Making ice creamEdit
There are lots of ways to make ice cream. Most people don't make ice cream, because it is easier to buy ice cream.
You can also make ice cream by putting cream, milk, and sugar in a plastic bag. Then put ice and salt in a bigger bag. If you put the smaller bag inside the bigger bag, then shake it for 5-10 minutes, you get ice cream.
How people sell ice creamEdit
People sell ice cream through many ways. You can buy ice cream in ice cream containers from supermarkets. You can also buy ice cream on a cone from an ice cream truck.
Types of ice creamEdit
This article is in a list format that may be better presented using prose.
- Traditionally, the three most common flavors are vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry. There are ice cream flavors that are very similar, such as French vanilla, vanilla bean, dark chocolate, chocolate chip, and strawberry cheesecake.
- Chocolate chips, or little pieces of dark or white chocolate, are a common additive to ice cream. Three common chocolate chip ice creams are chocolate chip (made with vanilla ice cream), mint chocolate chip or mint 'n chip (made with peppermint, spearmint, or creme de menthe ice cream), and chocolate chocolate chip. Peppermint ice cream without chips is also a common flavor.
- Many ice creams contain fruits. Besides strawberry, common fruit flavors are cherry, raspberry, blackberry, and peach. Some citrus fruits, such as orange and lime, are made into sherbets instead of ice cream.
- Nut flavors include butter pecan, butter almond (both of which contain vanilla or caramel ice cream with nuts), pistachio, and peanut butter.
- Coffee (mocha, cappuccino, espresso) and caramel (English toffee, butterscotch, rum) are also common ice cream flavors.
- There are many ice cream flavors that contain some mixture of chocolate, fudge, coffee, caramel, nuts, and marshmallows. The most common of these is Rocky Road (chocolate ice cream, nuts and marshmallows), but others include Mocha Almond Fudge (made with almond nuts, fudge, and coffee ice cream) and Tax Crunch (coffee, nuts, and malt powder)
- Some ice creams are a mixture of two or more ice creams. Neapolitan is a mixture of chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry; while spumoni is a mixture of chocolate and various fruit flavors.
- Outside of the U.S. and Canada, flavors include dulce du leche (Mexico), macupino and lychee (both China)
- Ice cream mixed with milk and often sugar and syrups is called a Milk Shake.
Many ice cream parlors, such as Cold Stone Creamery, allow people to make something called a sundae, which is at least one flavor of ice cream mixed with things such as nuts, dark or white chocolate chips, bananas, cherries, pineapples, candies, cookies, marshmallows, and various syrups such as hot fudge, maple and butterscotch. Also, ice cream is often placed on a piece of pie, which is called "pie a la mode".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ice cream.|
|Wikibooks Cookbook has a recipe/article on:|
- Grossi, M.; Lazzarini, R.; Lanzoni, M.; Riccò, B. (2011). "A novel technique to control ice-cream freezing by electrical characteristics analysis". Journal of Food Engineering 106: 347–354. doi:10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2011.05.035.
- "Who Invented Ice Cream? - Ice Cream Inventor". www.icecreamhistory.net. Retrieved 2018-08-31.
History of ice creams begun around 500 B.C. in the Persian Empire where ice was used in combination with grape juices, fruits, and other flavors to produce very expensive and hard to produce summertime treats.
- Book of Firsts. RW Press. ISBN 9781909284296.
c. 550-330 BC, First mention of flavoured snow or ice : during the Persian Empire
- "History of Ice Cream". thenibble.com.
- The origin of ice-cream, BBC. Retrieved 26 October 2009.
- Calaresu, Melissa (August 2013). "Making and Eating Ice Cream in Naples: Rethinking Consumption and Sociability in the Eighteenth Century". Past & Present 220: 35–78. doi:10.1093/pastj/gtt018. ISSN 0031-2746. http://past.oxfordjournals.org/content/220/1/35. Retrieved 24 March 2014.
- Grossi, M.; Lanzoni, M.; Lazzarini, R.; Riccò, B. (2012). "Automatici ce-cream characterization by impedance measurements for optimal machine setting". Measurement 45: 1747–1754. doi:10.1016/j.measurement.2012.04.009.