Ilhan Abdullahi Omar (Arabic: إلهان عبد الله عمر born October 4, 1981) is a Somali-American politician. She is the member of the U.S House of Representatives from Minnesota's 5th district since January 3, 2019. Ilhan Omar is also member of the President's so-called "Squad", which includes her, and three other female representatives that are all people of color.
|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives|
from Minnesota's 5th district
|Assumed office |
January 3, 2019
|Preceded by||Keith Ellison|
|Member of the Minnesota House of Representatives|
from the 60B district
January 2, 2017 – January 3, 2019
|Preceded by||Phyllis Kahn|
|Succeeded by||Mohamud Noor|
Ilhan Abdullahi Omar
October 4, 1982
|Relations||Sahra Noor (sister)|
|Children||3; including Isra Hirsi|
|Education||North Dakota State University (BA)|
In 2016, she was elected a Democratic–Farmer–Labor Party member of the Minnesota House of Representatives, making her the first Somali-American legislator elected to office in the United States. She is the Director of Policy and Initiatives of the Women Organizing Women Network.
Omar was the Democratic Farmer Labor nominee for U.S. Representative in Minnesota's 5th congressional district, having won the primary on August 14, 2018. Omar won the general election in November 2018, becoming first Muslim-American woman to be elected to congress, alongside Rashida Tlaib.
- Forliti, Amy (June 11, 2019). "Rep. Omar filed joint tax returns before she married husband". Yahoo News. Associated Press. Retrieved June 12, 2019.
- Sheehy, Kate (August 28, 2019). "Inside Ilhan Omar's tangled web of relationships".
- "Minnesota U.S. Rep. Ilhan Omar finalizes divorce". Star Tribune.
- "US Rep. Ilhan Omar divorces husband in Minnesota". AP NEWS. November 5, 2019.
- Rep. Ilhan Omar (DFL-MN)
- Blair, Olivia (November 9, 2016). "Ilhan Omar: Former refugee is elected as America's first Somali American Muslim woman legislator". The Independent. London. Retrieved November 9, 2016.
- Bierschbach, Briana; Bakst, Brian; Pugmire, Tim (June 5, 2018). "Filing deadline drama: Rep. Omar jumps into race for Congress". Minnesota Public Radio. St. Paul, Minnesota.
- Kellman, Laurie. "Democrats draft an anti-Semitism resolution in response to Rep. Ilhan Omar's remarks on Israel". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved March 5, 2019.
- Ferris, Sarah; Caygle, Heather; Bresnahan, John. "House Dems will take floor action to confront Omar's latest Israel comments". Politico. Retrieved March 5, 2019.
- Omar and Elmi were married in 2009. Omar has stated that the couple divorced within their faith tradition in 2011. They remained legally married until 2017.
- Omar has stated that she and Hirsi married within their faith tradition in 2002. The couple had two children. Omar has stated that she and Hirsi divorced within their faith tradition in 2008. They reconciled and had a third child in 2012. Omar and Hirsi were legally married in 2018. Their divorce was finalized on November 5, 2019.