Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (born October 13, 1989) is an American activist, community organizer, and politician. Ocasio-Cortez is the United States representative New York's 14th congressional district since January 3, 2019. She worked as an organizer for Bernie Sanders in his 2016 presidential campaign.
|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives|
from New York's 14th district
|Assumed office |
January 3, 2019
|Preceded by||Joseph Crowley|
October 13, 1989
New York City, U.S.
|Education||Boston University (BA)|
On June 26, 2018, Ocasio-Cortez won the Democratic primary in New York's 14th congressional district, defeating incumbent Joseph Crowley in the biggest upset victory in the 2018 midterm election season. She ran on a progressive platform. Ocasio-Cortez is a member of Democratic Socialists of America.
- Goldmacher, Shane; Martin, Jonathan (June 26, 2018). "Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Defeats Joseph Crowley in Major Democratic House Upset". New York Times. Retrieved June 26, 2018.
- "A progressive insurgent just pulled off the biggest Democratic primary upset in years". Mother Jones. Retrieved 2018-06-27.
- CNN, Gregory Krieg,. "A 28-year-old Democratic Socialist just ousted a powerful, 10-term congressman in New York". CNN. Retrieved 2018-06-27.
...in the most shocking upset of a rollicking political season.CS1 maint: extra punctuation (link)
- CNN, Dan Merica and Eric Bradner,. "The biggest night so far for progressives and other takeaways from Tuesday night's primaries". CNN. Retrieved 2018-06-27.
It was the most shocking result of 2018's political season so far...CS1 maint: extra punctuation (link)
- Resnick, Gideon (2018-06-27). "Young Progressive Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Topples Old Boss Joe Crowley in Democratic Primary Shocker". The Daily Beast. Retrieved 2018-06-27.
In one of the most shocking upsets in recent political history...
- Seitz-Wald, Alex (June 26, 2018). "High-ranking Democrat ousted in stunning primary loss to newcomer Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez". NBC News. Retrieved June 27, 2018.