Joseph Crowley (//; born March 16, 1962) is an American politician. He was the U.S. Representative for New York's 14th congressional district from 2013 to 2019. He was Chair of the House Democratic Caucus from 2017 to 2019. He also was Chair of the Queens County Democratic Party from 2006 to 2019.
|Chair of the House Democratic Caucus|
January 3, 2017 – January 3, 2019
|Preceded by||Xavier Becerra|
|Succeeded by||Hakeem Jeffries|
|Vice Chair of the House Democratic Caucus|
January 3, 2013 – January 3, 2017
|Preceded by||Xavier Becerra|
|Succeeded by||Linda Sánchez|
|Member of the |
U.S. House of Representatives
from New York
January 3, 1999 – January 3, 2019
|Preceded by||Thomas J. Manton|
|Succeeded by||Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez|
|Constituency||7th district (1999–2013)|
14th district (2013–2019)
|Member of the New York State Assembly|
from the 30th district
January 1, 1987 – December 31, 1998
|Preceded by||Ralph Goldstein|
|Succeeded by||Margaret Markey|
|Born||March 16, 1962|
New York City, New York, U.S.
|Education||Queens College, City University of New York (BA)|
On June 26, 2018, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez defeated Crowley in the 2018 Democratic primary for his seat. Crowley’s unseen defeat is thought to be one of the biggest upsets in congressional history.
|Working Families||Joe Crowley||4,644|
|Total||Joe Crowley (incumbent)||120,761||83.2|
|Working Families||Joe Crowley||4,982||7.39|
|Total||Joe Crowley (incumbent)||50,352||74.74|
|Working Families||Joe Crowley||7,317||3.71%|
|Women's Equality||Joe Crowley||1,903||0.96%|
|Total||Joe Crowley (incumbent)||147,587||74.80%|
|Republican||Frank J. Spotorno||26,891||13.63%|
|Conservative||Frank J. Spotorno||3,654||1.85%|
|Total||Frank J. Spotorno||30,545||15.48%|
|Democratic||Joseph Crowley (incumbent)||12,880||43.3|
|Working Families||Joseph Crowley||8,075||5.7|
|Women's Equality||Joseph Crowley||1,273||0.9|
|Total||Joseph Crowley (incumbent)||9,348||6.6|
- "CROWLEY, Joseph". House of Representatives.
- "Decades-Old House Democratic Leadership Likely to Remain Intact". Roll Call. September 8, 2016. Retrieved September 11, 2016.
- Arkin, James; Bland, Scott (June 26, 2018). "Top Democrat Crowley loses in shocker". Politico. Retrieved June 26, 2018.CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- "Rep. Joe Crowley defeated by challenger Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez". Washington Post. Retrieved June 27, 2018.
- United States House of Representatives elections in New York, 2012: "NYS Board of Elections Rep. in Congress Election Returns Nov 6, 2012" (PDF, 192 kB). New York Board of Elections. March 20, 2013. Retrieved November 3, 2018.
- "NYS Board of Elections". NYS Board of Elections. 2014-11-04. Retrieved 2017-01-23.
- From United States House of Representatives elections in New York, 2016: "New York State Official Election Night Results" (PDF, 475 kB). New York Board of Elections. December 22, 2016. Retrieved December 28, 2016.
- Congressman Joseph Crowley official U.S. House site
- Crowley for Congress
- Joe Crowley at the Open Directory Project
- Biography at the Biographical Directory of the United States Congress
- Voting record maintained by The Washington Post
- Biography, voting record, and interest group ratings at Vote Smart
- Campaign finance reports and data at the Federal Election Commission
- Crowley Appearances on C-SPAN