Jalal Talabani (12 November 1933 – 3 October 2017) was a leading Kurdish politician. He served as President of Iraq from 2005 to 2014. He was the first non-Arab president of Iraq, although Abdul Karim Qasim was of partial Kurdish heritage.
|6th President of Iraq|
7 April 2005 – 24 July 2014
|Prime Minister||Ibrahim al-Jaafari|
|Vice President||Adil Abdul-Mahdi|
Ghazi Mashal Ajil al-Yawer
|Preceded by||Ghazi Mashal Ajil al-Yawer|
|Succeeded by||Fuad Masum|
|Leader of the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan|
1 April 1975 – 3 October 2017
|Preceded by||Office Created|
|President of the Governing Council of Iraq|
1 November 2003 – 30 November 2003
|Preceded by||Ayad Allawi|
|Succeeded by||Abdul Aziz al-Hakim|
|Born||12 November 1933|
|Died||3 October 2017 (aged 83)|
|Political party||Patriotic Union of Kurdistan|
|Spouse(s)||Hero Ibrahim Ahmed|
|Alma mater||University of Baghdad|
Talabani was the founder and secretary general of one of the main Kurdish political parties, the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan (PUK). He was a prominent member of the Interim Iraq Governing Council, which was established following the overthrow of the Saddam Hussein regime by the invasion of Iraq in 2003. Talabani has been an advocate for Kurdish rights and democracy in Iraq for more than 50 years.
On 18 December 2012 Talabani suffered a stroke and was in intensive care in Baghdad where his condition eventually stabilized after reports that he was in a coma. A statement on the President's official website said that he was being treated for blocked arteries. On 20 December, Talabani's condition has improved enough to allow travel to Germany for treatment.
- "Iraq's president appoints Shiite as prime minister". chinadaily.com. 2009-04-21. Retrieved 08-04-2005. Check date values in:
- XXIII Congress of the Socialist International, Athens. SPEECH OF H.E. JALAL TALABANI, PRESIDENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF IRAQ, 2008.
- Adam Schreck and Qassim Abdul-Zahra (18 December 2012). "Jalal Talabani, Iraq President, Suffers Stroke". AP via Huffington Post. Retrieved 22 December 2012.
- "Iraqi President Jalal Talabani 'in coma after stroke'". BBC News. 18 December 2012. Retrieved 22 December 2012.
- "Iraq President Talabani stable after stroke". Al Jazeera English. 18 December 2012. Retrieved 22 December 2012.
- Reuters in Baghdad (20 December 2012). "Iraqi president Jalal Talabani flies to Germany for stroke treatment". the Guardian. Retrieved 22 December 2012.
- "Iraq's Jalal Talabani arrives in Germany for treatment". BBC News. 20 December 2012. Retrieved 22 December 2012.
- Reuters (20 December 2012). "Iraq's President Talabani leaves for treatment in Germany after stroke". NBC News. Retrieved 22 December 2012.
- Anatolia News Agency (17 May 2013). "Iraq Presidential Office publishes pictures showing ailing Jalal Talabani recovering from stroke". Hurriyet Daily News. Retrieved 1 July 2013.
- Former Iraqi President Talabani dies at 83
Media related to Jalal Talabani at Wikimedia Commons
|Wikinews has news related to this article: Iraq's President supports U.S. Senate plan to decentralize Iraq|