group of three languages
|كوردی, Kurdî, Kurdí, Кöрди|
|Native to||Turkey, Iran, Iraq, Syria, Armenia, Azerbaijan|
|Ethnicity||30-46 million Kurds|
|30 million (2007)|
|Perso-Arabic (Sorani alphabet) in Iraq and Iran, Latin (Hawar alphabet) in Turkey, Syria and Armenia|
Official language in
| Iraq: status as official language alongside Arabic.|
Iran: constitutional status as a regional language
Armenia: minority language
AZE: minority language in 5 districts
ckb – Sorani
kmr – Kurmanji
sdh – Southern Kurdish
lki – Laki
Map of Kurdish speaking areas of middle-East
The dialect of Piranshahr and Mahabad is Mukriani.
- "Kurdish Language – Kurdish Academy of Language". Kurdishacademy.org. Retrieved 2 December 2011.
- Only very rough estimates are possible. SIL Ethnologue gives estimates, broken down by dialect group, totalling 31 million, but with the caveat of "Very provisional figures for Northern Kurdish speaker population". Ethnologue estimates for dialect groups: Northern: 20.2M (undated; 15M in Turkey for 2009), Central: 6.75M (2009), Southern: 3M (2000), Laki: 1M (2000). The Swedish Nationalencyklopedin listed Kurdish in its "Världens 100 största språk 2007" (The World's 100 Largest Languages in 2007), citing an estimate of 20.6 million native speakers.
- European Charter for Regional or Minority Languages
- "Kurdish, Northern". Ethnologue.
- "Geographic distribution of the Kurdish language".