Mark Rutte (born 14 February 1967) is a Dutch politician. He has been Prime Minister of The Netherlands since 14 October 2010. He was leader of the conservative liberal People's Party for Freedom and Democracy (VVD) from 2006 to 2023. In July 2023, Rutte and his government announced their resignations.
Political career change
In 2010, Rutte won the elections with his party. He did not gain a majority in parliament, he won 31 out of 150 seats. Before he could form his government, there were four weeks of negotiations with the Christian-democratic CDA and the right-wing PVV of Geert Wilders. Wilders was not in the government, but he was supporting the government on several issues. These issues were discussed in those four weeks. When he was sworn in on 14 October 2010, he became the first liberal Prime Minister in the Netherlands in 92 years.
The First Rutte cabinet, consisting of VVD, CDA, and PVV, lasted from 2010 to 2012. The Second Rutte cabinet, consisting of VVD and PvdA, lasted from 2012 to 2017. The Third Rutte cabinet, consisting of VVD, D66, CDA, and CU, lasted from 2017 to 2022.
Rutte has been leading the Fourth Rutte cabinet, consisting of VVD, D66, CDA, and CU, since 10 January 2022.
On 7 July 2023, Rutte announced his government's resignation after his coalition failed to agree on how to handle increasing migration. His government will take on a caretaker role until the next general election. Rutte said that he will be leaving politics all together.
Personal life change
- (in Dutch) Mark Rutte teruggekeerd in Tweede Kamer
- "government.nl". Archived from the original on 2011-11-24. Retrieved 2011-04-18.
- Corder, Mike (7 July 2023). "Dutch premier resigns because of deadlock on thorny issue of migration, paving way for new elections". APNews.com. Associated Press. Retrieved 7 July 2023.
- (in Dutch) Mark Rutte: eerste liberale premier sinds 1918
- "Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte and his entire Cabinet resign over child welfare scandal". CBS News. 15 January 2021. Retrieved 16 January 2021.
- "Mark Rutte resigns as Dutch PM amid migration dispute - National | Globalnews.ca". Global News. Retrieved 2023-07-07.
- Moses, Claire; Dan Bilefsky (7 July 2023). "Dutch Government Collapses Over Plan to Further Limit Immigration". NYTimes.com. The New York Times. Retrieved 7 July 2023.
- Slomp, Door Edo van der Goot en Priscilla (2023-07-10). "VVD-leider Mark Rutte verlaat politiek: 'Mijn positie is volstrekt ondergeschikt'". NU (in Dutch). Retrieved 2023-07-10.