Michael Farrand Bennet (born November 28, 1964) is an American businessman, lawyer, and Democratic politician. He is the senior United States Senator from Colorado. He became a senator when Ken Salazar was appointed Secretary of the Interior.
|United States Senator|
|Assumed office |
January 21, 2009
Serving with John Hickenlooper
|Preceded by||Ken Salazar|
|Superintendent of Denver Public Schools|
July 1, 2005 – January 21, 2009
|Preceded by||Jerome Wartgow|
|Succeeded by||Tom Boasberg|
Michael Farrand Bennet
November 28, 1964
New Delhi, India
|Spouse(s)||Susan Daggett (1997–present)|
|Education||Wesleyan University (BA)|
Yale University (JD)
Bennet worked as managing director for the Anschutz Investment Company, chief of staff to then-Denver mayor (and former Colorado Governor) John Hickenlooper, and superintendent of Denver Public Schools.
On April 3, 2019, Bennet announced that he had been diagnosed with prostate cancer. He had surgery and was later announced cancer-free. A month later on May 2, Bennet launched his 2020 campaign for President of the United States. He announced that he would seek the Democratic nomination for president during an interview on CBS This Morning. He ended his campaign on February 11, 2020 after a poor performance in the New Hampshire primaries.
- Littwin, Mike (April 3, 2019). "Littwin: Michael Bennet has prostate cancer, but he still intends to run for president". The Colorado Independent. Retrieved April 3, 2019.
- Wager, John (April 19, 2019). "Sen. Michael Bennet's cancer surgery was 'completely successful,' spokeswoman says". Washington Post.
- Gregorian, Dareh. "Colorado Sen. Bennet enters presidential race after prostate cancer treatment". NBC News. Retrieved May 2, 2019.
- Nic Garcia (May 2, 2019). "Rep. Tim Ryan of Ohio joins Democratic presidential race". The Denver Post. Retrieved May 2, 2019.
- "Michael Bennet ends 2020 presidential bid after poor showing in New Hampshire". WDTN.com. 2020-02-11. Retrieved February 11, 2020.
Other websites Edit
- Senator Michael F. Bennet official U.S. Senate site
- Michael Bennet for Senator Archived 2012-01-13 at the Wayback Machine
- Michael Bennet at the Open Directory Project
- Appearances on C-SPAN
- Biography at WhoRunsGov.com at The Washington Post
- Biography at the Biographical Directory of the United States Congress
- Voting record maintained by The Washington Post
- Biography, voting record, and interest group ratings at Vote Smart
- Congressional profile at GovTrack.us
- Congressional profile at OpenCongress
- Issue positions and quotes at On The Issues
- Financial information at OpenSecrets.org
- Staff salaries, trips and personal finance at LegiStorm.com
- Campaign finance reports and data at the Federal Election Commission
- Appearances on C-SPAN programs
- Appearances at the Internet Movie Database
- Collected news and commentary at The New York Times
- Profile at Notable Names Database
- Profile at Ballotpedia
- Collected news and commentary at The Denver Post