New Hampshire is a state in northeast United States. It is one of six states in the New England region. The capital is Concord and its largest city is Manchester. Other major cities include Dover, Portsmouth, and Merrimack
|Before statehood||Province of New Hampshire|
|Admitted to the Union||June 21, 1788 (9th)|
|• Governor||Chris Sununu (R)|
|• President of the Senate||Donna Soucy (D)|
|• Upper house||Senate|
|• Lower house||House of Representatives|
|U.S. senators||Jeanne Shaheen (D)|
Maggie Hassan (D)
|U.S. House delegation||1: Chris Pappas (D) |
2: Ann McLane Kuster (D) (list)
|• Total||1,356,458 (2,018 est.)|
|• Density||147/sq mi (56.8/km2)|
|• Median household income||$70,936|
|• Income rank||8th|
|• Official language||English|
(French allowed for official business with Quebec)
|Latitude||42° 42′ N to 45° 18′ N|
|Longitude||70° 36′ W to 72° 33′ W|
|New Hampshire state symbols|
Lycaeides melissa samuelis
|Fish||Freshwater: Brook trout|
Saltwater: Striped bass
Vegetable: White Potato
|Tartan||New Hampshire State Tartan|
|State route marker|
Released in 2000
|Lists of United States state symbols|
The state motto is "Live Free or Die" and the nickname is the Granite State. The state flower is the lilac and the state bird is the purple finch. New Hampshire is part of New England. It is bordered by Maine in the East, Massachusetts to the South, Vermont to the West, and Quebec, a Canadian province, to the North.
Its population was estimated to be 1,315,809 in 2008, so it is the ninth smallest state in the United States by population.
New Hampshire's tourist attractions include the Lakes Region, the White Mountains, the autumn leaves, and the New Hampshire Motor Speedway in Loudon. Some famous people from New Hampshire are Franklin Pierce, Adam Sandler, and members of the band Aerosmith. New Hampshire is also famous for being the first state to vote in the Presidential primaries.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to New Hampshire.|
- In the event of a vacancy in the office of Governor, the President of the State Senate is first in line to assume the gubernatorial powers and duties as Acting Governor.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for the United States, Regions, States, and Puerto Rico: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2018 (NST-EST2018-01)". U.S. Census Bureau. December 2018. Retrieved January 16, 2019.
- "Income in the Past 12 Months (in 2016 Inflation-Adjusted Dollars) (S1901): 2016 American Community Survey 1-Year Estimates: New Hampshire". American Factfinder. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved May 21, 2018.
- "New Hampshire Revised Statutes, Title 1, Chapter 3-C:1 – Official State Language". State of New Hampshire. 1995. Retrieved December 9, 2016.
- "New Hampshire Revised Statutes, Title 1, Chapter 3-C:2 – Exceptions". State of New Hampshire. 1995. Retrieved December 9, 2016.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for thepop United States, Regions, States, and Puerto Rico: April 1, 2000 to July 1, 2008". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2009-10-14.