Senigallia is a comune and seaport in Italy. It is on the Adriatic coastline, in the province of Ancona, in the Marche region. It is the second city of the province, after the capital, by the number of people living there.
|Città di Senigallia|
|• Mayor||Maurizio Mangialardi (PD)|
|• Total||117.77 km2 (45.47 sq mi)|
|Elevation||5 m (16 ft)|
|Highest elevation||202 m (663 ft)|
|Lowest elevation||0 m (0 ft)|
|• Density||380/km2 (980/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Patron saint||St. Paulinus|
|Saint day||4 May|
The following frazioni (hamlets) are part of Senigalliaː Bettolelle, Borgo Bicchia, Borgo Catena, Borgo Passera, Brugnetto, Cannella, Castellaro, Cesanella, Cesano, Ciarnin, Filetto, Gabriella, Grottino, Mandriola, Marzocca, Montignano, Roncitelli, Sant'Angelo, San Silvestro, Scapezzano and Vallone.
Evolution of the population
The people from this comune are known, in Italian, as senigalliesi.
Despite its ancient origin the city presents a modern appearance, with wide streets. Attractions include:
- Palazzo Comunale, a palace from the 17th century. Now is called Palazzo di Governo because the offices of the government of the comune are here. It is in the Piazza Roma.
- Rocca Roveresca - castle of Gothic origin, was restored by Baccio Pontelli in 1492. It has a square plan with four large round tower.
- The Cathedral of Senigallia (Cattedrale di San Pietro Apostolo), a cathedral built between 1762 and 1790.
- Santa Maria delle Grazie church - one of the only two churches attributed to Baccio Pontelli (the other is at Orciano di Pesaro, province of Pesaro and Urbino, about 20 kilometres (12 miles) to the west by road). It once housed the painting of Madonna di Senigallia by Piero della Francesca; it is now in the Galleria Nazionale delle Marche in Urbino, Province of Pesaro and Urbino.
- Chiesa della Croce or Church of the Cross .
- Rotonda a mare .
People from SenigalliaEdit
Twinned and partner townsEdit
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Senigallia.|
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide about: Senigallia|
- "Comune di Senigallia" (in Italian). Tuttitalia.it. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- "Statistiche demografiche ISTAT" (in Italian). Demo.istat.it. Archived from the original on 3 January 2018. Retrieved 2 November 2017.
- "Comune di Senigallia" (in Italian). Comuni-Italiani.it. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- "Comune di Senigallia" (in Italian). Comune di Senigalliaː Monumenti. Retrieved 20 June 2016.[permanent dead link]
- "Comune di Senigallia" (in Italian). Comune di Senigalliaː La Rotonda a Mare. Archived from the original on 20 May 2016. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- "Comune di Senigallia" (in Italian). Comune di Senigallia. Archived from the original on 2 July 2016. Retrieved 20 June 2016.