1177 was a common year.
|Centuries:||11th century – 12th century – 13th century|
|Decades:||1140s 1150s 1160s – 1170s – 1180s 1190s 1200s|
|Years:||1174 1175 1176 – 1177 – 1178 1179 1180|
- November 25 — Baldwin IV of Jerusalem and Raynald of Chatillon beat Saladin at the Battle of Montgisard.
- During the third year of the Angen era in Japan, a fire devastates Kyoto.
- Benedictus Abbas becomes abbot of Peterborough.
- Byland Abbey is started in Yorkshire by the Cistercians.
- Casimir II becomes duke of Poland.
- The Cham sack the Khmer capital of Angkor Wat.
- Roger de Moulins becomes Grand Master of the Knights Hospitaller.
- Moscow is burned down.
- Puigcerdà is founded by Alfonso II of Aragon.
- Leopold V becomes Duke of Austria.
- September 27 — Pope Alexander III sends a letter to Prester John, believing he is real.
- Treaty of Venice — Frederick I Barbarossa accepts Alexander III as Pope
- Estonians attack Pskov during winter.