Year 369 (CCCLXIX) was a common year starting on Thursday of the Julian calendar.
|Centuries:||3rd century – 4th century – 5th century|
|Decades:||330s 340s 350s – 360s – 370s 380s 390s|
|Years:||366 367 368 – 369 – 370 371 372|
- Spring – Emperor Valens crosses the Danube at Noviodunum (Romania), and attacks the Gothic tribes (Greuthungi and Tervingi). Their king Athanaric is defeated and ‘forced to flee for his life’. He asks for peace. The treaty includes free trade and an agreement to provide troops for tribute.
- Fritigern becomes king of the Visigoths. He asked Valens and the Thracian army for help. They end the civil war, and Fritigern becomes Christian.
- Chinese troops of the Jin Dynasty are defeated by Former Yan of the Xianbei.
- Goguryeo invades Baekje.
Arts and sciencesEdit
- Wulfila makes a Gothic alphabet composed of letters based on Greek and Roman letters, as well as some Germanic runes. He converts the Goths to ("Arian") Christianity.
- Huan Xuan, warlord and emperor of the Jin Dynasty (d. 404)