(Redirected from 943)
Below are some of the important events that happened from 940 to 949.
|Centuries:||9th century – 10th century – 11th century|
|Decades:||910s 920s 930s – 940s – 950s 960s 970s|
|Years:||940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949|
|Categories:||Births – Deaths – Architecture|
Establishments – Disestablishments
- Saadia Gaon makes his siddur (Jewish prayer book) in Iraq.
- Narita-san Temple is founded in Chiba, Japan.
- The Liao Dynasty stops the rule that a younger sister replace an older sister who died in marriage.
- April 21 – Bajkam, commander of commanders of the Abbasid Caliphate
- The Chavda Kingdom is overthrown in Gujarat, India.
- October 30 – Pope Marinus II succeeds Pope Stephen VIII as the 128th pope.
- King Constantin II of Scotland retires and becomes a monk. His cousin Malcolm I of Scotland becomes king.
- The city of Algiers is (re)founded by the Zirid king Buluggin ibn Ziri.
- Abu Yazid starts a rebellion against the Fatimids in the Aures Mountains.
- The Al-Askari Mosque is built in Samarra.
- King Edmund I of England takes Northumbria from the Vikings.
- Emperor Romanos I Lekapenos is deposed as Byzantine emperor. It was by his own sons, Stephen Lekapenos and Constantine Lekapenos.
- The Buyid dynasty takes control of Baghdad.
- The Min Kingdom is taken over by the Southern Tang Kingdom.
- Edmund I of England conquers Strathclyde. He makes an alliance with Malcolm I of Scotland and gives Cumberland and Westmorland to him.
- Lothair II of Italy takes control of Italy.
- Romanos I Lekapenos is overthrown. Byzantine Emperor Constantine VII rules alone.
- Eadred I becomes king of England.
- Emperor Murakami becomes Emperor of Japan.
- May 10 – Pope Agapitus II succeeds Pope Marinus II as the 129th pope.
- May 18 – Emperor Taizong of the Liao Dynasty
- Topiltzin Ce Acatl Quetzalcoatl, Toltec ruler
- Wulfgar of Lichfield, Bishop of Lichfield
- Sexhelm of Lindisfarne, Bishop of Lindisfarne
- Shi Chonggui, last Emperor of China from the Later Jin Dynasty
- Uchtred of Lindisfarne, Bishop of Lindisfarne
- Zoltán of Hungary, Grand Prince of the Magyars
- The Nri Kingdom is started by Eri. The kingdom was in what is now Nigeria.
- The Nallur Kandaswamy temple is built.