A universal basic income (UBI) or simply basic income is a type of program in which citizens (or permanent residents) of a country may receive a regular sum of money from the government. A pure or unconditional basic income has no means test, much like Social Security in the United States. Basic income can be implemented nationally, regionally or locally. The idea gained attention in recent years because many people fear that artificial intelligence (AI) and automation will make many jobs obsolete in the near future. Some people also think that an UBI could make society more creative because people would no longer have the pressure to work.
The idea has never been put in place by any country yet, but there have been some experimental trials.
- Elon Musk, American entrepreneur
- Jeff Bezos, founder of Amazon
- Mark Zuckerberg, founder of Facebook
- Chris Hughes, co-founder of Facebook
- Jack Dorsey, founder of Twitter
- Pierre Omidyar, founder of eBay
- Tim Berners-Lee, inventor of the World Wide Web
- S. Robson Walton, former Chairman of Walmart
- Ray Kurzweil, American inventor and futurist
- Stephen Hawking, British theoretical physicist
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Basic income|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Basic income guarantee.|
- Diam, Peter H. (2016-12-13). "If Robots and AI Steal Our Jobs, a Universal Basic Income Could Help". Singularity Hub. Retrieved 2020-09-24.
- "Would a Universal Basic Income Make Us Lazy or Creative?". Bloomberg.com. 2020-10-03. Retrieved 2021-02-21.
- Strange, Adario. "Elon Musk thinks universal income is answer to automation taking human jobs". Mashable. Retrieved 2021-02-21.
- Collum, Danny Duncan (2019-10-22). "Do We Need Universal Basic Income?". Sojourners. Retrieved 2021-02-21.
- Gillespie, Patrick (2017-05-26). "Mark Zuckerberg supports universal basic income. What is it?". CNNMoney. Retrieved 2021-02-21.
- "VIDEO: Basic Income debated on CNN (Chris Hughes & Eduardo Porter) | Basic Income News". web.archive.org. 2017-05-05. Retrieved 2021-02-21.
- "Universal basic income cause gets a $3 million boost from Jack Dorsey". www.cbsnews.com. Retrieved 2021-02-21.
- "A Billionaire Is Helping Fund a Massive Universal Basic Income Project". Futurism. Retrieved 2021-02-21.
- "Why Tim Berners-Lee supports basic income - Tech Insider". web.archive.org. 2016-08-21. Retrieved 2021-02-21.
- Florida, News Talk (2020-08-26). "Revisiting Universal Basic Income". Newstalk Florida - N. Retrieved 2021-02-21.
- https://kurzweilai.net. "letter from Ray | Supporting universal basic income is a step in world progress « Kurzweil". Retrieved 2021-02-21.
- Brooks, Libby (25 December 2017). "Scotland united in curiosity as councils trial universal basic income". The Guardian. Retrieved 4 October 2020.