Manitoba is a province of Canada. It lies roughly in the centre of Canada.
|Coordinates: 55°00′00″N 97°00′00″W / 55.00000°N 97.00000°WCoordinates: 55°00′00″N 97°00′00″W / 55.00000°N 97.00000°W|
|Confederation||15 July 1870 (5th)|
|Largest metro||Winnipeg Capital Region|
|• Lieutenant Governor||Janice Filmon|
|• Premier||Heather Stefanson (Progressive Conservative)|
|Legislature||Legislative Assembly of Manitoba|
|Federal representation||Parliament of Canada|
|House seats||14 of 338 (4.1%)|
|Senate seats||6 of 105 (5.7%)|
|• Total||649,950 km2 (250,950 sq mi)|
|• Land||548,360 km2 (211,720 sq mi)|
|• Water||101,593 km2 (39,225 sq mi) 15.6%|
|Area rank||Ranked 8th|
|6.5% of Canada|
|• Total||1,278,365 |
| • Estimate |
|• Rank||Ranked 5th|
|• Density||2.33/km2 (6.0/sq mi)|
|• Total (2015)||C$65.862 billion|
|• Per capita||C$50,820 (9th)|
|Time zone||UTC-06:00 (Central)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-05:00 (Central DST)|
|Rankings include all provinces and territories|
Manitoba is the 6th largest province with 647,797 square kilometres (250,116 sq mi) area. It has the fifth largest number of people, with 1,379,584 in 2020. People from Manitoba are called "Manitobans".
People have been living in Manitoba for thousands of years. Both the Hudson's Bay Company from England and many people from France moved to Manitoba during the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries. It became part of the Northwest Territories in 1869. The Red River Rebellion, which was started by Louis Riel, began in Manitoba.
Manitoba became part of Canada on 12 May 1870. It included only the southern part which is nearest to the United States. But parts of the Northwest Territories were added to Manitoba later on.
The capital of Manitoba is the city of Winnipeg. Other large cities in Manitoba include Steinbach and Brandon.
The people of Manitoba elected a legislature. The leader of the government, who is called the Premier, is the leader of the largest party in the legislature. There is also a Lieutenant Governor, who represents the Queen. Right now, the premier of Manitoba is Greg Selinger and the Lieutenant Governor is Philip S. Lee.
The main political parties in Manitoba are the New Democratic Party, the Progressive Conservative Party of Manitoba, and the Liberal Party.
- ↑ "Population and dwelling counts, for Canada, provinces and territories, 2016 and 2011 censuses". Statistics Canada. 2 February 2017. Archived from the original on 4 May 2017. Retrieved 30 April 2017.
- ↑ "Estimates of population, Canada, provinces and territories". Statistics Canada. 28 September 2016. Archived from the original on 23 December 2017. Retrieved 29 September 2018.
- ↑ "The legal context of Canada's official languages". University of Ottawa. Archived from the original on 10 October 2017. Retrieved 7 March 2019.
- ↑ "Gross domestic product, expenditure-based, by province and territory (2015)". Statistics Canada. 9 November 2016. Archived from the original on 19 September 2012. Retrieved 26 January 2017.
Find more about
at Wikipedia's sister projects
|Definitions from Wiktionary|
|Media from Commons|
|News stories from Wikinews|
|Quotations from Wikiquote|
|Source texts from Wikisource|
|Textbooks from Wikibooks|
|Learning resources from Wikiversity|
- Manitoba at the Open Directory Project