Honduras is a country in Central America. Its capital is Tegucigalpa. Most people of Honduras speak the Spanish language. 7,483,763 people live in Honduras and it is 112,492 square kilometres (43,433 sq mi) in size. It is next to El Salvador. To one side is the Caribbean Sea and to the other in the Pacific Ocean.
Republic of Honduras
República de Honduras
Anthem: Himno Nacional de Honduras
National Anthem of Honduras
and largest city
|Recognised regional languages|
|Ethnic groups |
|Juan Orlando Hernández|
• Declaredb from Spain
|15 September 1821|
• Declared from the
First Mexican Empire
|1 July 1823|
• Declared, as Honduras, from the Federal Republic of Central America
|5 November 1838|
|112,492 km2 (43,433 sq mi) (102nd)|
• 2010 estimate
• 2007 census
|64/km2 (165.8/sq mi) (128th)|
|GDP (PPP)||2014 estimate|
• Per capita
|GDP (nominal)||2014 estimate|
• Per capita
|HDI (2013)|| 0.617|
medium · 129th
|Time zone||UTC−6 (CST)|
|ISO 3166 code||HN|
Population estimates explicitly take into account the effects of excess mortality due to AIDS; this can result in lower life expectancy, higher infant mortality and death rates, lower population and growth rates, and changes in the distribution of population by age and sex than would otherwise be expected, as of July 2007.
The ethnic makeup of Honduras is 80% mestizo, 17% amerindian, 2% black, and 1% white.
Honduras has the world's highest murder rate.
Honduras is divided into 18 departments. The capital city is Tegucigalpa in the Central District.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Honduras.|
- Honduras. CIA – The World Factbook. Cia.gov. Retrieved on 28 July 2012.
- "Honduras". International Monetary Fund. Retrieved 18 October 2014.
- 1992–2007: "Human Development Report 2009 – M Economy and inequality – Gini index". Human Development Report Office, United Nations Development Programme. Archived from the original on 17 October 2009. Retrieved 17 October 2009. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Human Development Report 2010" (PDF). United Nations. 2010. Retrieved 5 November 2010.