Malta is an island located in Europe. It is near the center of the Mediterranean Sea, south of Sicily. The capital of Malta is Valletta. Around 400,000 people live in Malta and it is one of the most densely populated countries in the world. Because of this, it has many cities and towns that grew close to each other over time.
Republic of Malta
Repubblika ta' Malta (Maltese)
Maltese Sign Language
|Ethnic groups |
|Government||Unitary parliamentary republic|
|Marie Louise Coleiro Preca|
|Legislature||House of Representatives|
from the United Kingdom
|21 September 1964|
|13 December 1974|
|316 km2 (122 sq mi) (186th)|
• Water (%)
• 2014 estimate
• 2011 census
|1,410/km2 (3,651.9/sq mi) (7th)|
|GDP (PPP)||2017 estimate|
• Per capita
|GDP (nominal)||2017 estimate|
• Per capita
|Gini (2014)|| 27.7|
low · 15th
|HDI (2015)|| 0.856|
very high · 33rd
|Currency||Euro (€)[b] (EUR)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
• Summer (DST)
|Date format||dd/mm/yyyy (AD)|
|Patron saints||Paul the Apostle, Saint Publius and Agatha of Sicily|
|ISO 3166 code||MT|
Maltese is the national language of Malta, with Maltese and English serving as official languages in line with the constitution of the country. A majority of the people of Malta can speak three languages; Maltese, English and Italian.
Malta had its own currency, called the Maltese Lira until 2008. The Maltese Lira was better known as the Maltese Pound because of the strong links to the United Kingdom. One Maltese Lira consisted of 100 cents. In 2008 Malta joined the Euro countries in adopting the Euro as the National Currency.
Malta became well known as the base of the Knights Hospitaller. They moved to Malta after being forced to leave Palestine and then Rhodes, in Greece. In 1565 they survived a great attack by the Ottoman Empire. The history of the knights at Malta continued the strong Roman Catholic beliefs in the country that were started by the Norman and Spanish rulers.
In 1798, Napoleon took control of Malta. The French rule was not popular and in 1800 Maltese rebels invited the British Royal Navy to come to the island. This led to 200 years as a British colony and independent Commonwealth member.
- "Maltese sign language to be recognized as an official language of Malta". The Malta Independent.
- Census 2011. National Statistics Office, Malta
- Zammit, Andre (1986). "Valletta and the system of human settlements in the Maltese Islands". Ekistics (Athens Center of Ekistics) 53 (316/317): 89–95.
- "Estimated Population by Locality 31st March, 2014". Government of Malta. 16 May 2014. Archived from the original on 21 June 2015.CS1 maint: Unfit url (link)
- "Malta". International Monetary Fund.
- "Gini coefficient of equivalised disposable income (source: SILC)". Eurostat Data Explorer. Retrieved 4 December 2015.
- "2016 Human Development Report". United Nations Development Programme. 2016. Retrieved 25 March 2017.
- Lesley, Anne Rose (15 April 2009). Frommer's Malta and Gozo Day by Day. John Wiley & Sons. p. 139. ISBN 0470746106.