Saparman Sodimejo, known more commonly as Mbah Gotho (reportedly born 31 December 1870 – 30 April 2017) was an Indonesian man who unverifiably was claimed to have lived to be over 140 years. That would have made him the oldest person ever recorded.
31 December 1870
|Died||30 April 2017 (aged 146)|
|Cause of death||Heart failure|
|Known for||Claimed oldest living person|
Mbah Gotho himself could not remember his date of birth, but said that he remembered the construction of a sugar factory that was built in 1880. The local authorities registered him as being over 140 in 2010, and put his birth date to be in 1870 on an ID card issued in 2014.
The oldest known person whose age was proven, Jeanne Calment, was 122 years when she died.
In May 2010, Solopos reported that the census had recorded his next birthday as his 142nd. That would have made him 19 years older than the oldest recorded person, Jeanne Calment, was when she died in 1997.
The Liputan 6 website reported that Mbah Gotho's estimated age was 140. He could not remember his date of birth, but claimed to remember the construction of a sugar factory built in Sragen in 1880.
In August 2016, after a television report on Liputan 6, numerous international media outlets reported Gotho's claim. They then showed photographs of his ID card (issued in 2014), which displays his claimed birth date.
Although Indonesian officials at the local record office confirmed the birth date there is no independent proof of his claimed age. That would have been required for the claim about the age to be recognized by record authorities, such as Guinness World Records. The Indonesian government did not register births before 1900, and there have been errors in the past.
The Gerontology Research Group commented that this extremely high claimed age was "fiction" and "unbelievable". The story on Liputan 6 noted other similar claims about age. That included a woman named Maemunah and known as Ambu Unah, who had been claimed to be born in 1867, in Cimanuk, Pandeglang Regency.
According to the BBC, he outlived ten siblings, four wives, and all of his children.
- Taufiq Sidik Prakoso (25 August 2014). "Inilah Mbah Gotho, Manusia Tertua Asal Sragen yang Kini Berusia 144 Tahun" [Mbah Gotho from Sragen, Oldest Human Now Aged 144 Years]. Solopos (in Indonesian). Surakarta, Indonesia: Aksara Solopos. Retrieved 2 September 2016.CS1 maint: unrecognized language (link)
- Abrori, Fajar (24 August 2016). "Kini Berusia 146 Tahun, Apa Rahasia Panjang Umur Mbah Gotho?" [Now 146 years old, what are Mbah Gotho's secrets of longevity?]. Liputan 6 (in Indonesian). Jakarta: SCTV. Retrieved 27 August 2016.
- "145-year-old Indonesian man's age doubted by expert". The Nation. Bangkok: Nation Multimedia Group. Deutsche Presse-Agentur. 31 August 2016. Retrieved 2 September 2016.
- trh (20 May 2010). "Sodimejo, Manusia tertua di Sragen". Solopos (in Indonesian). Surakarta, Indonesia: Aksara Solopos. Retrieved 2 September 2016.
- AIS (24 May 2010). "Kakek Berusia 140 Tahun Juga Ada di Sragen". Liputan 6 (in Indonesian). Jakarta: SCTV. Retrieved 3 September 2016.
- "'Longest living human' says he is ready for death at 145". The Telegraph. London: Telegraph Media Group. 27 August 2016. Retrieved 27 August 2016.
- Cain, Kathryn (26 August 2016). "Indonesian man who claims to be world's oldest person aged 145 says he can no longer stand living… and even bought his own gravestone 20 years ago". The Sun. London: News UK. Retrieved 27 August 2016.
- Connor, Laura (26 August 2016). "Newly discovered 'world's oldest man' is 145-years-old but says he's ready to die". Metro. London: DMG Media. Retrieved 27 August 2016.
- Knopf, Ehsan (28 August 2016). "Indonesian man claims to be world's oldest person at 145". Nine News. Willoughby, NSW, Australia: Nine Network. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- "'Oldest human' dies in Indonesia 'aged 146'". BBC News. 1 May 2017. Retrieved 1 May 2017.
- Piggott, Mark (27 August 2016). "145-year-old Mbah Gotho from Indonesia says he can't wait to die". International Business Times. New York City: IBT Media. Retrieved 27 August 2016.
- "Kakek Karnita 140 Tahun, Nenek Unah 143". Manado Post (in Indonesian). Manado, Indonesia: Jawa Pos News Network. 19 May 2010. pp. 1, 11. Retrieved 3 September 2016.
- "Content Search". Channel News Asia. 1 May 2017.
- "Mbah Gotho Manusia Berusia 146 Tahun Asal Sragen Meninggal Dunia" (in Indonesian). Detik.com. 30 April 2017.