The Mid-American Conference (MAC) is a college sports conference whose full members are located in the Great Lakes region of the United States. It sponsors 11 men's sports and 12 women's sports at the NCAA Division I level. In football, the MAC is one of 10 conferences that play in the top-level Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS).
The MAC was founded in 1946 by five schools in Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio, but only one of the founding members, Ohio University, is still in the conference. All but two of its current full members are in those three states.
Sports sponsored change
- Baseball (men only)
- Basketball (both men and women)
- Cross country (both men and women)
- Field hockey (women only)
- Football (men only)
- Golf (both men and women)
- Gymnastics (women only)
- Lacrosse (women only)
- Soccer (both men and women)
- Softball (women only)
- Swimming and diving (both men and women)
- Tennis (both men and women)
- Track and field, indoor (both men and women)
- Track and field, outdoor (both men and women)
- Volleyball (women only)
- Wrestling (men only)
Full members change
Currently, the MAC has 12 full members, all public schools, each of which competes in at least 15 MAC sports. Every member of the conference competes in football, baseball, men's and women's basketball, and the following women's sports: cross country, soccer, softball, indoor and outdoor track and field, and volleyball. In many sports, the conference is split into East and West Divisions.
|University of Akron||Akron, Ohio||1870||Public||Zips||1992|
|Bowling Green State University||Bowling Green, Ohio||1910||Public||Falcons||1952|
|University at Buffalo||Buffalo, New York||1846||Public||Bulls||1998|
|Kent State University||Kent, Ohio||1910||Public||Golden Flashes||1981|
|Miami University[a 1]||Oxford, Ohio||1809||Public||RedHawks||1977|
|Ohio University||Athens, Ohio||1804||Public||Bobcats||1948|
|Ball State University||Muncie, Indiana||1918||Public||Cardinals||1973|
|Central Michigan University||Mount Pleasant, Michigan||1892||Public||Chippewas||1971|
|Eastern Michigan University||Ypsilanti, Michigan||1892||Public||Eagles||1971|
|Northern Illinois University||DeKalb, Illinois||1895||Public||Huskies||1975, 1997[a 2]|
|University of Toledo||Toledo, Ohio||1872||Public||Rockets||1950|
|Western Michigan University||Kalamazoo, Michigan||1903||Public||Broncos||1947|
- This school is often called "Miami (Ohio)" to distinguish it from the University of Miami in Florida.
- Northern Illinois left the MAC in 1986 and returned in 1997.
Associate members change
The MAC has 21 "associate members" that each play only one sport in the conference. One of these schools will leave the MAC for another conference in July 2022.
A major recent change in associate membership happened in 2019 when the MAC absorbed the Eastern Wrestling League, a single-sport conference that had existed since 1975. All seven of the EWL's final members thus became MAC associates.
A more recent change to associate membership took place on July 1, 2020 when the MAC added three members in the new conference sport of women's lacrosse, along with one former wrestling member dropping the sport.
SIU Edwardsville (SIUE), in full Southern Illinois University Edwardsville, left the MAC men's soccer league in 2021 to return to its former soccer home of the Missouri Valley Conference. It remains a MAC member in wrestling.
Another change in associate membership was announced in June 2020. Bellarmine University, which started a transition from NCAA Division II to Division I that July, joined the MAC field hockey league in July 2021.
At the same time Bellarmine joined in field hockey and SIUE left in wrestling, Georgia Southern University and Georgia State University joined MAC men's soccer, and Missouri wrestling left to become a single-sport member of its former all-sports home of the Big 12 Conference.
- Associate members
Departing member indicated in pink.
- "Mid-American Conference". getsomemaction.com. Retrieved 2020-01-16.
- "Women's Lacrosse Coming in 2020-21; Detroit Mercy & Youngstown State As Affiliates" (Press release). Mid-American Conference. November 6, 2019. Retrieved February 8, 2020.
- "MAC Announces Historic Wrestling Expansion" (Press release). Mid-American Conference. March 5, 2019. Retrieved March 15, 2019.
- "Robert Morris to Join MAC as Affiliate Member in Women's Lacrosse" (Press release). Mid-American Conference. June 23, 2020. Retrieved June 29, 2020.
- "ODU Discontinues Wrestling Program" (Press release). Old Dominion University Athletics. April 2, 2020. Retrieved April 15, 2020.
- "MVC Adds SIUE as Men's Soccer Affiliate" (Press release). Missouri Valley Conference. June 12, 2020. Retrieved June 24, 2020.
- "Bellarmine to Join MAC as Affiliate Member in Field Hockey" (Press release). Mid-American Conference. June 9, 2020. Retrieved October 1, 2020.
- "Georgia Southern, Georgia State Added As Affiliate Members in Men's Soccer" (Press release). Mid-American Conference. May 21, 2021. Retrieved May 27, 2021.
- "Big 12 Adds Missouri as Affiliate Member in Wrestling" (Press release). Big 12 Conference. April 22, 2021. Retrieved May 13, 2021.
- "MSOC: West Virginia Added as C-USA Soccer Member for 2022" (Press release). Conference USA. June 14, 2021. Retrieved June 15, 2021.