The Jungle Book (1967 movie)
The Jungle Book is a 1967 American animated movie. It was produced by Walt Disney Productions. It was released on October 18, 1967. It is the 19th animated movie in the Walt Disney Animated Classics series. It was inspired by the stories about the feral child Mowgli from the book of the same name by Rudyard Kipling. It was directed by Wolfgang Reitherman. It was the last to be produced by Walt Disney, who died during its production.
|The Jungle Book|
|Directed by||Wolfgang Reitherman|
|Produced by||Walt Disney|
|Screenplay by||Larry Clemmons|
Floyd Norman (uncredited)
Bill Peet (uncredited)
|Based on||The Jungle Book|
by Rudyard Kipling
|Narrated by||Sebastian Cabot|
|Music by||George Bruns (Score)|
Richard M. Sherman
Robert B. Sherman (Songs)
|Distributed by||Buena Vista Distribution|
The early versions of both the screenplay and the soundtrack followed Kipling's work more closely. There was a dramatic, dark, and sinister tone which Disney did not want in his family movie. The first writer Bill Peet and composer Terry Gilkyson were replaced. The movie made over $73 million in the United States in its first release.
- Bruce Reitherman as Mowgli, an orphaned boy, commonly called "man-cub" by the other characters.
- Phil Harris as Baloo, a sloth bear who leads a carefree life and believes in letting the good things in life come by themselves.
- Sebastian Cabot as Bagheera, a serious black panther who wants to take Mowgli back to the village and disapproves of Baloo's carefree approach to life.
- Louis Prima as King Louie, an ape who wants to be a human.
- George Sanders as Shere Khan, a smart yet merciless Bengal tiger.
- Sterling Holloway as Kaa, an Indian python who wants Mowgli as prey.
- J. Pat O'Malley as Colonel Hathi the Indian elephant/Buzzie the Vulture
- Verna Felton as Winifred, Colonel Hathi's wife.
- Clint Howard as Junior, Colonel Hathi's son.
- Chad Stuart as Flaps the Vulture
- Lord Tim Hudson as Dizzie the Vulture
- John Abbott as Akela the Indian Wolf
- Ben Wright as Father Wolf
- Darleen Carr as Shanti
- Leo De Lyon as Flunkey the Baboon*
- Hal Smith as The Slob Elephant*
- Ralph Wright as The Gloomy Elephant*
- Digby Wolfe as Ziggy the Vulture*
- Bill Skiles and Pete Henderson as Monkeys*
The song "The Bare Necessities" was nominated for Best Song at the 40th Academy Awards. It lost to "Talk to the Animals" from Doctor Dolittle. Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences president Gregory Peck wanted this movie to be nominated for Best Picture, but he was unsuccessful.
- Beiman, Nancy (2007). Prepare to board!: creating story and characters for animated features and shorts. Focal Press. ISBN 978-0-240-80820-8.
- Disney's Kipling: Walt's Magic Touch on a Literary Classic. The Jungle Book, Platinum Edition, Disc 2. 2007.
- "The Jungle Book". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 2008-09-27. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Beck, Jerry (2005). The animated movie guide. Chicago Review Press. p. 133. ISBN 1-55652-591-5.
- Hischak, Thomas S. (2011). Disney Voice Actors: A Biographical Dictionary. McFarland. p. 240. ISBN 978-0-7864-6271-1.
- Webb, Graham S. (2000). The animated film encyclopedia: a complete guide to American shorts, features and sequences 1900-1979. McFarland. p. 257. ISBN 978-0-7864-0728-6.
- Oscars Database http://awardsdatabase.oscars.org/ampas_awards/DisplayMain.jsp?curTime=1215147249619