Timeline of World War II
list of significant events occurring during World War II
This is Timeline of World War II, which shows the event linked to World War II during 1931-1945.
Before the warEdit
- 1931- September 18: Japan invades the Manchuria region of China, starting Second Sino-Japanese War.
- 1934- August 2: Hitler becomes German head of state.
- January 7: The League of Nations allows Germany to add Saar to its territory.
- March 16: Hitler orders military buildup in Germany
- April: France, Britain, and Italy form the "Stresa Front", set up to defend Austrian independence, and will not allow Germany to change the Treaty of Versailles.
- June 18: The Anglo-German Naval Agreement is signed by Germany and the United Kingdom to limit the size of their navies.
- October 2: Italy invades Ethiopia, beginning the Second Italo–Abyssinian War.
- May 7: Italy add Ethiopia to its territory.
- July 18: Spanish Civil War begins.
- October 25: Rome-Berlin Axis is formed.
- 1937- After Marco Polo Bridge Incident, war between China and Japan continues.
- 1938- September 30: The Munich agreement is signed.
- March 15: Germany invades Czechoslovakia. The country is divided and added to many countries.
- April 1: The Spanish Civil War ends with the nationalist victory. Francisco Franco becomes the head of state.
- May 22: The Pact of Steel between Germany and Italy is signed.
- August 23: The Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact between Germany and the Soviet Union is signed. The two secretly agree to divide Eastern Europe between themselves.
- September 1: Germany invades Poland, starting World War II in Europe (European War).
- September 3: Britain and France warns Germany to move all soldiers out of Poland or there will be war. Germany doesn't follow. The two declare war.
- September 17: The Soviet Union invades Poland from the east.
- October 5-10: Baltic states sign "assistance pacts" with the Soviet Union, allowing it to have soldiers in these countries.
- October 6: The Polish fight comes to an end.
- October 20: The "Phoney War" begins.
- November 24: Japan announces the capture of Nanjing, the Chinese capital at the time.
- November 30: The Soviet Union invades Finland in the Winter War.
- May 10: Germany invades Belgium, France, Luxembourg and the Netherlands. Winston Churchill becomes Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.
- May 25: The Allies falls back to Dunkirk. Hitler orders to stop attacking the Allies troops by land.
- May 26: The Allies starts moving their soldiers from Dunkirk. By June 3, more than 300,000 Allies troops are transported to Britain.
- June 2: Norway surrenders.
- June 10: Italy declares war on Britain and France.
- June 18: The Soviet Union occupies the Baltic states.
- June 25: France formally surrenders.
- July 10: The Battle of Britain begins.
- September 9: The Italian army in Libya invades Egypt.
- September 27: The Tripartite Pact is signed in Berlin by Germany, Italy, and Japan.
- October 15: Italy invades Greece.
- December 6-9: The Italians are pushed back in Egypt.
- January 16: British troops start to counter-attack on Italian-held Ethiopia.
- March 24: German troops in Africa under Erwin Rommel's command wins for the first time. Within three weeks, the British are driven back to Egypt.
- April 6: Germany attacks Yugoslavia and Greece.
- April 27: Greece surrenders.
- May 20: German paratroopers land in Crete. The battle on the island lasts for seven days.
- June 22: Germany invades the Soviet Union with Operation Barbarossa. Many European Axis are also present. German soldiers are sent to Finland.
- September 1: Leningrad is under siege.
- September 19: Kiev is captured.
- October 2: Battle of Moscow begins.
- November 27: The Siege of Tobruk is broken.
- December 5: German attack on Moscow is cancelled. The Soviets start counter-attacking.
- December 7: Japan attacks Pearl Harbor and many South East Asian nations, starting World War II in the Pacific (Pacific War).
- April 18: The Doolittle Raid is launched, bombing Tokyo from the United States
- June 4: Americans defeat Japan at Midway Island.
- February 2: German forces surrender at Stalingrad.
- September 8: Italy surrenders.
- June 6: American, British and Canadian soldiers invade Normandy.
- August 25: Paris, France is Liberated
- December 16: German forces attack Americans in Belgium, beginning the Battle of the Bulge.
- United States enters Germany
- April 30: Hitler commits suicide.
- May 8: Germany surrenders.
- August 6: The First Atomic Bomb is dropped on Hiroshima.
- August 9: The Second Atomic Bomb is dropped on Nagasaki.
- August 15: Japan surrenders, ending the war.