1196 (MCXCVI) was a leap year starting on Monday of the Julian calendar, the 1196th year of the Common Era (CE) and Anno Domini (AD) designations, the 196th year of the 2nd millennium, the 96th year of the 12th century, and the 7th year of the 1190s decade.
|Centuries:||11th century – 12th century – 13th century|
|Decades:||1160s 1170s 1180s – 1190s – 1200s 1210s 1220s|
|Years:||1193 1194 1195 – 1196 – 1197 1198 1199|
|Ab urbe condita||1949|
|Balinese saka calendar||1117–1118|
|English Regnal year||7 Ric. 1 – 8 Ric. 1|
|Chinese calendar||乙卯年 (Wood Rabbit)|
3892 or 3832
— to —
丙辰年 (Fire Dragon)
3893 or 3833
|- Vikram Samvat||1252–1253|
|- Shaka Samvat||1117–1118|
|- Kali Yuga||4296–4297|
|Japanese calendar||Kenkyū 7|
|Minguo calendar||716 before ROC|
|Seleucid era||1507/1508 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||1738–1739|
1322 or 941 or 169
— to —
1323 or 942 or 170
- Spring, London, popular uprising of the poor against the rich led by William Fitz Osbern.
- According to a popular legend, Prince Madog of Gwynedd reached North America in what is present-day Alabama.
- Stefan Prvovencani becomes Grand Župan of Serbia
- Creation of water boards in the region of present-day Netherlands, thereby being one of the oldest democratic entities still in existence in the world today.
- January 3 — Emperor Tsuchimikado of Japan (d. 1231)
- Alice of Champagne, daughter of Henry II of Champagne and regent of Jerusalem (d. 1246)
- August 15 — Conrad II, Duke of Swabia (b. 1173)
- King Alfonso II of Aragon (b. 1152)
- Ivan Asen I of Bulgaria
- William Fitz Osbern
- Vsevolod Svyatoslavich, Prince of Trubchevsk and Kursk