Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi
Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi (28 July 1971 – 26 October 2019) was an Iraqi terrorist and politician. His followers in the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) call him their Caliph.  On 4 October 2011, the US State Department listed al-Baghdadi as a Specially Designated Global Terrorist, and announced a reward of up to US$10 million for information leading to his capture or death.
On 11 July 2017, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights was quoted by Reuters and AFP as saying that it had "confirmed information" that al-Baghdadi has been killed by a Russian airstrike in Syria sometime in June 2017 at the either age of 45.
However, on 28 September 2017, Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant released a 46-minute audio recording of Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi in which he refers to events that had happened since the death rumors, including North Korean threats against Japan and United States and the recapture of Mosul by U.S. backed Iraqi forces in July.
On 26 October 2019, Baghdadi killed himself by detonating a suicide vest during a United States special operations raid in Syria's northwestern Idlib province in a village called Barisha. This is confirmed by US President Donald Trump at 9am EST (1300 GMT).
- "Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, extremist leader of Islamic State, dies at 48". Washington Post. 27 October 2019. Retrieved 28 October 2019.
Later, former hostages would reveal that Mr. Baghdadi also kept a number of personal sex slaves during his years as the Islamic State’s leader
- "Terrorist Designations of Groups Operating in Syria". United States Department of State. 14 May 2014. Retrieved 13 June 2014.
- "Terrorist Designation of Ibrahim Awwad Ibrahim Ali al-Badri". United States Department of State. 4 October 2011. Retrieved 8 October 2011.
- "Syrian Observatory says has 'confirmed information' that Islamic State chief killed". Reuters. 2017-07-11. Retrieved 2017-07-11.
- "ISIL posts 'Baghdadi audio' issuing 'resistance' call". Al Jazeera. 28 September 2017.
- Chulov, Martin (28 September 2017). "Isis releases new recording of leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi". The Guardian.
- Awadalla, Nadine; Knecht, Eric (28 September 2017). "Islamic State's Baghdadi, in undated audio, urges militants to keep fighting". Reuters.
- "Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi: US 'conducts operation against IS chief' - US media". BBC News. Retrieved 27 October 2019.
- "US targeted ISIL leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi: US officials". Al Jazeera . 28 October 2019. Retrieved 28 October 2019. no-break space character in
|publisher=at position 11 (help)
- "U.S. Designates ISIS Leader As Specially Designated Global Terrorist". Counter Extremism Project. 2020-03-30. Retrieved 2020-05-05.
Hussein bin Ali, Sharif of Mecca
| First worldwide Caliph of the Islamic State
2013 – 2015