Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Fond du Lac is a city in Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin, United States. The name is French for bottom (or foot) of the lake. It was named this because of its location at the bottom (south end) of Lake Winnebago. As of the 2010 census, 43,021 people lived there.
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Location of Fond du Lac in Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin.
|County||Fond du Lac|
|Incorporated||1847 (as a village), 1852 (as a city)|
|• City manager||Joseph P. Moore|
|• Council president||Lee Ann Lorrigan|
|• City||20.11 sq mi (52.08 km2)|
|• Land||18.82 sq mi (48.74 km2)|
|• Water||1.29 sq mi (3.34 km2) 6.41%|
|Elevation||760 ft (232 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||2,285.9/sq mi (882.6/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (CST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
54935, 54936, 54937
Native American tribes lived or gathered in the area long before Europeans got there. These tribes included the Winnebagos , Potawatomi, Kickapoo, and Mascoutin. It is not known who was the first white man to explore the southern end of Lake Winnebago. It is thought to be Claude-Jean Allouez.
- William Aldrich, U.S. Representative from Illinois
- Ed Aspatore, NFL player
- Bob Blewett, MLB player
- Edward S. Bragg, Union Army general, U.S. Representative, U.S. Ambassador
- Edward L. Doheny, American oil tycoon
- Charles A. Eldredge, U.S. Representative
- Jeanna Giese, first person known to have been successfully treated for rabies without receiving a vaccine.
- King Camp Gillette, inventor of the safety razor and founder of The Gillette Company.
- Bert Husting, MLB player
- Paul O. Husting, U.S. Senator
- Edward H. Jenison, U.S. Representative from Illinois
- Colin Kaepernick, NFL quarterback for the San Francisco 49ers
- Scott McCallum, former Governor of Wisconsin
- Hugh J. McGrath, Medal of Honor recipient
- Charles Henry Morgan, U.S. Representative from Missouri
- William K. Van Pelt, U.S. Representative
- Owen A. Wells, U.S. Representative
- Charles T. Zimmerman, Distinguished Service Cross recipient
- cityfdl. "Police". Police - City of Fond du Lac.
- cityfdl. "City Council". City Council - City of Fond du Lac.
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "Dictionary of Wisconsin History". Wisconsin Historical Society. Retrieved 2008-10-20.
- Clorissa Swingen (Spring 1988). "Fond du Lac: Links to our Past". Retrieved 2007-03-20.
-  .
- Mentzer, Michael (199). Fond du Lac County: Gift of the Glacier. Fond du Lac, WI USA: Fond du Lac County Historical Society. p. 212. ISBN 0-9631213-0-8.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Fond du Lac, Wisconsin.|