Freiburg im Breisgau
Freiburg im Breisgau
|• Lord mayor||Martin Horn (Ind.)|
|• Total||153.07 km2 (59.10 sq mi)|
|Elevation||278 m (912 ft)|
|• Density||1,500/km2 (3,900/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Dialling codes||0761, 07664, 07665|
Freiburg has many twin cities throughout the world:
- France, Besançon,since 1959
- Austria, Innsbruck, since 1963
- Italy, Padua, since 1967
- United Kingdom, Guildford, since 1979
- United States, Madison, Wisconsin, since 1987
- Japan, Matsuyama, since 1988
- Ukraine, Lviv, since 1989
- Spain, Granada, since 1991
- Iran, Isfahan, since 2000
Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's controversial comments, which included questioning the size of the Holocaust, have sparked questions about Freiburg's partnership with Isfahan. After the comments Freiburg's mayor postponed a trip to Isfahan, but most people involved, especially those in the Alliance '90/The Greens party, were opposed to cancelling the partnership.
- Friedrich von Hayek, economist
- Hans F. K. Günther, Nazi eugenicist
- Dany Heatley, player for the Ottawa Senators NHL team
- Martin Heidegger, philosopher (originally not from Freiburg, taught in Freiburg)
- Edmund Husserl, philosopher
- Boris Kodjoe, model and actor
- Benjamin Lebert, author and newspaper columnist
- Joachim Löw, coach of the German national football team.
- Karl Rahner, Catholic theologian
- Wolfgang Schäuble, Minister of the Interior, 1989 - 1991, in Helmut Kohl and, 2005 - current, Angela Merkel governments.
- Jürgen Schrempp, former head of DaimlerChrysler
- Berthold Schwarz, fabled alchemist who supposedly introduced gunpowder to Germany
- Til Schweiger, actor and director
- Hermann Staudinger, Nobel Prize in chemistry "for his discoveries in the field of macromolecular chemistry"
- Edith Stein, Saint of the Roman Catholic Church, martyred by the Nazis, member of the Freiburg faculty; her residence is marked by a plaque.
- Martin Waldseemüller, the inventor of the name America
- August Weismann, biologist
- Bernhard Witkop, organic chemist
- "Bevölkerung nach Nationalität und Geschlecht am 31. Dezember 2020" [Population by nationality and sex as of December 31, 2020] (CSV). Statistisches Landesamt Baden-Württemberg (in German). June 2021. Retrieved 17 October 2021.
- Statistisches Landesamt Baden-Württemberg. "Population data".
- "www.nouripour.de - Herzlich willkommen!". Archived from the original on 2007-03-10. Retrieved 2008-01-30.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Freiburg im Breisgau.|
- Official website
- Freiburg:History and images Archived 2008-12-30 at the Wayback Machine (in German)
- City of Freiburg and the Black Forest
- Augustinermuseum Archived 2005-12-01 at the Wayback Machine
- VAG Freiburg Freiburg Public Transit Authority
- Freiburg-Home.com - Information & Reviews about Freiburg in English for expats, tourists and the community Archived 2013-08-04 at the Wayback Machine
- Solar City - Germany Archived 2007-10-14 at the Wayback Machine August 2000
- Webcams in Freiburg and the Black Forest
- Tramway in Freiburg
- fudder - a popular online-mag for young people (Winner of Grimme Online Award 2007)
- Freiburg's History for Pedestrians