Juan Carlos I of Spain
Juan Carlos I (born 5 January 1938) reigned as King of Spain from 1975 to 2014.
|Juan Carlos I|
King Juan Carlos I in 2009
|King of Spain|
|Reign||22 November 1975 – 18 June 2014|
|Enthronement||27 November 1975|
|Predecessor||Alejandro Rodríguez de Valcárcel (interim Head of State)|
Alfonso XIII (as King of Spain)
Francisco Franco (as Caudillo of Spain)
|Successor||Felipe VI of Spain|
|Born||5 January 1938|
|Spouse||Sophia of Greece and Denmark|
|Infanta Elena, Duchess of Lugo|
Infanta Cristina, Duchess of Palma de Mallorca
Felipe, Prince of Asturias
|House||Bourbons of Spain|
|Father||Infante Juan, Count of Barcelona|
|Mother||María de las Mercedes of the Two Sicilies|
His name came from his father (Juan de Borbón), his grandfather (Alfonso XIII) and his mother's father's name (Prince Carlo of the Two Sicilies).
On 22 November 1975, two days after the death of Francisco Franco, Juan Carlos became king. Franco had picked him and prepared him for the job. In 1969 it had been thirty years since the last king. King Juan Carlos helped change Spain from a dictatorship into a parliamentary democracy. In 2008 he was voted the most popular leader in all Ibero-America.
- "His Majesty the King Juan Carlos". The Royal Household of His Majesty the King!.
- The English-language version of the Official Royal Family website is rendered as Borbon, while in Spanish it is Borbón
- Goodman, Al; Mullen, Jethro; Levs, Josh (2 June 2014). "Spain's King Juan Carlos I to abdicate". CNN. Retrieved 2 June 2014.
- "Spain will have two kings and two queens". Retrieved 18 June 2014.
- Mariángel Alcázar (22 August 2019). "El rey Juan Carlos se someterá a una operación de corazón el próximo sábado". La Vanguardia (in Spanish). Retrieved 23 August 2019.
- "Spain's ex-King Juan Carlos leaves country". BBC News. 4 August 2020. Retrieved 2020-08-04.
- Minder, Raphael (3 August 2020). "Juan Carlos, Spain's Former King, Quits Country Amid Multiple Investigations". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 4 August 2020.
- "Royal House confirms former king of Spain, Juan Carlos I, has been in United Arab Emirates since Aug. 3". ABC News.
Titles and stylesEdit
- 5 January 1938 – 21 July 1969: His Royal Highness The Infante Juan Carlos of Spain
- 15 January 1941 – 22 November 1975: His Royal Highness The Prince of Asturias
- 21 July 1969 – 22 November 1975: His Royal Highness The Prince of Spain
- 22 November 1975 – 18 June 2014: His Majesty The King of Spain
- 18 June 2014 – : His Majesty King Juan Carlos I of Spain