List of largest Hindu temples
Wikimedia list article
|Rank||Name of the temple||Photo||Area (m²)||Place||Country||Architecture/Timeline|
|1||Pashupatinath||2,460,000||Kathmandu||Nepal||Pashupatinath is a temple located at Kathmandu, Nepal. The area of Pashupatinath surrounds about 246 hectares of land including 518 temples and monuments.|
|2||Angkor Wat||1,626,000||Siem Reap Province||Cambodia||Angkor Wat is a temple complex at Angkor, Cambodia. It is the largest religious monument in the world, on a site measuring 162.6 hectares (1,626,000 m2; 402 acres). It was built for king Suryavarman II in the early 12th century.|
|3||Sri Ranganathaswamy Temple||631,000||Tiruchirapalli||India||Srirangam temple is often listed as the largest functioning Hindu temple in the world . The temple was awarded with UNESCO Asia Pacific Award for Cultural Heritage Conservation Program in the year 2017 for the category 'Award of Merit'.|
|4||Akshardham||240,000||Delhi||India||Akshardham is a Hindu temple complex in Delhi, India.|
|5||Belur Math, Ramakrishna temple||160,000||Howrah||India||Belūr Maṭh or Belur Mutt is the headquarters of the Ramakrishna Math and Mission, founded by Swami Vivekananda, a chief follower of Ramakrishna Paramahamsa. It is located on the west bank of Hooghly River, Belur, West Bengal, India.|
|6||Thillai Nataraja Temple, Chidambaram||160,000||Chidambaram||India||Thillai Natarajah Temple, Chidambaram is a Hindu temple dedicated to Lord Shiva. It is located in the centre of the temple town of Chidambaram, Tamil Nadu.|
|7||Prambanan, Trimurti temple compound||152,000||Yogyakarta||Indonesia||Candi Prambanan or Candi Rara Jonggrang is a 9th-century Hindu temple in Central Java, Indonesia, dedicated to Shiva. It also houses shrines of Vishnu, Brahma and their wives. Prambanan attracts many visitors from across the world.|
|8||Brihadeeswarar Temple||102,400||Thanjavur||India||Brihadeeswarar Temple also called The Big Temple was built by Raja Raja Chola I in 1010 CE . It is dedicated to Lord Shiva. The temple is part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site.|
|9||Annamalaiyar Temple||101,171||Tiruvannamalai||India||Annamalaiyar Temple is a noted Hindu temple dedicated to Lord Shiva.|
|10||Dakshineswar Kali Temple||101,171||Dakshineswar||India||Dakshineswar Kali Temple is situated on the eastern bank of the Hooghly River (a distributary of the Ganga River) in Kolkata. The presiding deity of the temple is Kali. The temple was built in 1855 by Rani Rashmoni, a devotee of Kali. The temple complex is spread over 25 acres (101,171 m2) . It is one of the largest temple in Bengal.|
|11||Rajagopalaswamy temple||93,000||Mannargudi||India||Rajagopalaswamy temple is a Vaishnavite shrine located in the town of Mannargudi, Tamil Nadu, India. The temple is called Dakshina Dwarka (Southern Dwarka) along with Guruvayoor by Hindus.|
|12||Ekambareswarar Temple||92,860||Kanchipuram||India||Ekambareswarar Temple is a Hindu temple dedicated to Lord Shiva, located in Kanchipuram in the state of India.|
|13||Varadharaja Perumal Temple||81,000||Kanchipuram||India||Varadharaja Perumal Temple is dedicated to Lord Vishnu located in the holy city of Kanchipuram, Tamil Nadu, India. It is one of the 108 Divya Desams.|
|14||Thyagaraja Temple||80,937||Tiruvarur||India||Sri Thyagaraja temple at Tiruvarur is dedicated to Lord Shiva. The temple chariot of this temple is the largest in Tamil Nadu.|
|15||Jambukeswarar Temple, Thiruvanaikaval||72,843||Tiruchirappalli||India||Thiruvanaikaval (also Thiruvanaikal) is a Shiva temple in Tiruchirapalli, in the state of India. The temple was built by Kocengannan (Kochenga Chola), around 1,800 years ago.|
|16||Nellaiappar Temple||71,000||Tirunelveli||India||This temple was dedicated to Shiva. It was built 2500–3000 years ago.|
|17||Meenakshi Amman Temple||70,050||Madurai||India||Meenakshi Sundareswarar Temple or Meenakshi Amman Temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva and his wife, Parvati.|
|18||Vaitheeswaran Koil||60,780||Vaitheeswaran Koil||India||Vaitheeswaran Temple is located in India, dedicated to the god Shiva.|
|19||Jagannath Temple, Puri||37,000||Puri||India||The Jagannath Temple in Puri is a famous Hindu temple dedicated to Jagannath (Vishnu). It is located in the coastal town of Puri in the state of Odisha, India.|
|20||Thrissur Vadakkunnathan Temple||36,000||Thrissur||India||Vadakkumnathan Temple is an ancient Hindu temple dedicated to Shiva at city of Thrissur, of Kerala state in India. This temple is a classical example of the architectural style of Kerala and has one monumental tower on each of the four sides in addition to a kuttambalam. Mural paintings depicting various scenes from the Mahabharata can be seen inside the temple.|
|21||Birla Mandir||30,000||Delhi||India||The Laxminarayan Temple (also known as the Birla Mandir) is a Hindu temple dedicated to Laxminarayan in Delhi, India.|
- "Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh build temple ties to boost tourism". The Times of India. 2010-08-10. Archived from the original on 2011-08-11. Retrieved 2011-09-21.
- "9 Amazing Nepali Temple You Should Visit Before You Die". Prasant Bhatt. 2018-04-13. Archived from the original on 2018-04-14. Retrieved 2018-04-14.
- "Hindu Shrine: Pashupatinath in Nepal". Newsblaze.com. 2009-01-08. Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2011-10-30.
- "Angkor Temple Guide". Angkor Temple Guide. 2008. Retrieved 31 October 2010.
- "Tiruvarangam Divya Desam".
- "What is Akshardham". BAPS Swaminarayan Sanstha. Archived from the original on 2008-10-17. Retrieved 2008-10-28.
- "Mandir". BAPS. 2005. Archived from the original on 2008-09-12. Retrieved 2008-09-12.
- Sarina Singh; Joe Bindloss; Paul Clammer; Janine Eberle. India. p. 452.
- Centre, UNESCO World Heritage. "Prambanan Temple Compounds". UNESCO World Heritage Centre.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-10-06. Retrieved 2018-04-25.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Prambanan Temple Tourism". www.indonesia-tourism.com.
- "Brihadeeswarar Temple". 2015. Retrieved 9 May 2015.
- "Complete Info about Tiruvannamalai Temple". 2010. Retrieved 30 August 2011.[permanent dead link]
- Mehrotra 2008 harvnb error: no target: CITEREFMehrotra2008 (help) p.11
- "History of the temple". Dakshineswar Kali Temple. Retrieved 26 November 2012.
- "Dakshineswar - A Heritage". Government of West Bengal. Archived from the original on 2 September 2013. Retrieved 26 November 2012.
- "Dakshineshwar Mandir - Indian Mirror". Retrieved 2018-04-21.
- Hindu Pilgrimage: A Journey Through the Holy Places of Hindus All Over India. Sunita Pant Bansal. page 82
- "Tiruvarur Temple Layout". Retrieved 2006-11-11.
- "Thiruvarur at Tamil Nadu tourism website". Retrieved 2006-11-11.
- "Tiruvanaikoil Temple". 2010. Archived from the original on 31 August 2011. Retrieved 30 August 2011.
- "Vedic Concepts". Retrieved 2006-09-12.
An example in Sanskrit is seen with the word Jagat which means universe.
- "Vadakkumnathan Temple". Thrissur District. Retrieved 2010-10-06.
- "Silicon India". Retrieved 2020-07-09.
Vadakunnathan temple is surrounded by a massive stone wall enclosing an area of nearly 9 acres (36,000 m²).
- "Birla Temple Delhi- Birla Mandir in Delhi, Laxmi Narayan Mandir Delhi, Laxminarayan Temple New Delhi India". www.culturalindia.net.
- Malcolm, Howard, Travels in south-eastern Asia, embracing Hindustan, Malaya, Siam .., Volume 2, Google(digitised).