SK Rapid Wien
S.K. Rapid Wien is an Austrian football club. Rapid Wien was founded in 1898 and is one of the major clubs in Austria. The club plays in Vienna. Rapid is Austria's most successful team with 32 championships wins. Rapid also won a German title in 1941 when the country was part of Germany.
|Full name||Sportklub Rapid Wien|
|Ground||Gerhard Hanappi Stadium|
|2010/11||Austrian Bundesliga, 5th|
The club was founded in 1898 as First Workers' Football Club of Vienna but was renamed in S(port) K(lub) Rapid Wien on 8 January 1899. The first coulors were red and white. The teams uses these colours in away matches today.
During the years before World War II, Rapid was one of the most successful clubs in Europe. Before the Second World War, Rapid won the Viennese championship 16 times. In these years there was no nationwide championship because professional football teams only played in Vienna. In 1930 Rapid won the Mitropacup against Sparta Praha (2:0; 3:2) (La Coupe de l'Europe Centrale), one of the first international competitions in Europe. Around this time, the rivalry with the other great club of Vienna, FK Austria, started and continues today. Rapid was the club of the working class, while supporters of FK Austria were more middle class.
Almost since the beginning of the club's history, the fans announce the last 15 minutes with clapping of their hands, the "Rapidviertelstunde".
SK Rapid only won the Austrian championship twice since 2000. The greatest success in recent years was the victory over the Premier League club Aston Villa in the last qualifying round for the UEFA Europa League 2009 and 2010. They played in the group stage twice, but they did not reach the next round.
- As of 12 July, 2011
Note: Flags indicate national team as defined under FIFA eligibility rules. Players may hold more than one non-FIFA nationality.
- National Austrian Championship (16): 1951, 1952, 1954, 1956, 1957, 1960, 1964, 1967, 1968, 1981–82, 1982–83, 1986–87, 1987–88, 1995–96, 2004–05, 2007–08
- Viennese Championship (16): 1912, 1913, 1916, 1917, 1919, 1920, 1921, 1923, 1929, 1930, 1935, 1938, 1940, 1941, 1946, 1948 
- Austrian Cup (14): 1919, 1920, 1927, 1946, 1961, 1968, 1969, 1972, 1976, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1987, 1995
- Austrian Supercup: 1986, 1987, 1988, 2008 (Unofficial edition)
- Mitropa Cup: 1930, 1951
- Intertoto Cup: 1992, 1993
- Cup Winners' Cup Runners Up: 1985, 1996
- IFFHS Mitropacup 1930
- later playing in the American Footbal League
- later architect, he designed the homeground of Rapid which is named after him
- later coach of the dutch national footballteam
- best scorer of Europe, later playing for CF Barcelona
- introduced the International Football Cup (now UEFA Intertoto Cup)
- later manager of Croatia (2004-2006) and Montenegro (2010- )
- Before the Second World war professional football was only played in Vienna.