New York University
New York University, also known as NYU, is a research university in New York City. It is the largest private university in the United States, and is highly regarded in the nation as well as around the world.
|Latin: Universitas Neo Eboracensis|
|Motto||Perstare et praestare (Latin)|
Motto in English
|To persevere and to excel|
|Endowment||$4.3 billion (2018)|
|Budget||$11.945 billion (fiscal 2018)|
|Chairman||William R. Berkley|
|President||Andrew D. Hamilton|
|Provost||Katherine E. Fleming|
|Total: 9,620 (Fall 2016)|
(5,510 full-time /
|Students||51,848 (Fall 2018)|
|Undergraduates||26,733 (Fall 2018)|
|Postgraduates||25,115 (Fall 2018)|
|Campus||Urban 230-acre (0.93 km2) |
|Colors||Purple and White|
|Athletics||NCAA Division III – UAA|
In 2020, it was ranked as the 11th best university in the United States by the QS World University Rankings: USA, and as the 28th best university in the world by U.S. News & World Report. In addition, NYU is highly ranked in the fields of Law, Medicine, Mathematics, Business, Psychology, Communications, Performing Arts, Film, Economics, and Philosophy.
The university was founded as University of the City of New York in 1831 by a prominent group of New York City residents led by then United States Secretary of the Treasury, Albert Gallatin. The school was officially renamed New York University in 1896.
37 Nobel Prize winners have been produced by NYU, the 12th most in the United States and 19th most in the world. Three heads of state attended NYU: Ma Ying-jeou of the Republic of China, Ephraim Katzir of Israel, and Guillermo Endara of Panama. Many American politicians also attended NYU, including Bill de Blasio, Carol Bellamy, and Rudy Giuliani. Many successful actors and movie directors attended NYU, including Martin Scorcese, Angelina Jolie, Alec Baldwin, Spike Lee, Ang Lee, Mahershala Ali, Woody Allen, and Adam Sandler. Other famous alumni include the creator of the polio vaccine Jonas Salk, singer Lady Gaga, Twitter founder Jack Dorsey, author Suzanne Collins, and former special counsel Robert Mueller.
In addition to its main campus in New York City, NYU also has degree-granting campuses in Abu Dhabi and Shanghai. NYU Abu Dhabi has produced more Rhodes Scholars per student than any other university in the world.
- "About NYU". New York University. New York University. Retrieved August 30, 2013.
- "Part One".
- Communications, NYU Web. "Fiscal 2018 Budget".
- NYU Web Communications. "The Election of William Berkley, Stern '66, as Chair-Designate of the NYU Board of Trustees". nyu.edu.
- NYU Web Communications. "Office of the Provost". nyu.edu.
- "College Navigator - New York University". Nces.ed.gov. Retrieved February 17, 2016.
- "Common Data Set 2012–2013" (PDF). Institutional Research and Program Evaluation. New York University. Retrieved October 31, 2013.
- The total number of administration staff listed here refers to the total number of employees in office and administrative support occupations at the Washington Square and School of Medicine campuses only.
- "Enrollment Trends". NYU.
- Orlando Sentinel (December 5, 2013). "NYU college tour: Great school but very expensive - Orlando Sentinel". OrlandoSentinel.com. Archived from the original on November 17, 2015. Retrieved April 24, 2019.
- "New York University Graphic Standards and Logo Usage Guide, second edition, February 2010" (PDF). New York University. Retrieved August 10, 2015.