1946 (MCMXLVI) was a common year starting on Tuesday of the Gregorian calendar, the 1946th year of the Common Era (CE) and Anno Domini (AD) designations, the 946th year of the 2nd millennium, the 46th year of the 20th century, and the 7th year of the 1940s decade.
|Centuries:||19th century – 20th century – 21st century|
|Decades:||1910s 1920s 1930s – 1940s – 1950s 1960s 1970s|
|Years:||1943 1944 1945 – 1946 – 1947 1948 1949|
- January 10 – First meeting of the United Nations.
- August 16 - Muslim League began "Direct Action Day" Riot That killed 10,000 people from Kolkata.
- December 19 - The First Indochina War begins.
Date unknown change
- AIESEC starts.
- January 3 - John Paul Jones, English bass guitarist (Led Zeppelin)
- January 19 – Dolly Parton, American country singer
- January 22 – Malcolm McLaren, music manager
- March 8 - Randy Meisner, American singer-songwriter and musician (Eagles)
- March 12 – Frank Welker, American actor
- May 10- Donovan, Scottish musician
- July 6 – George W. Bush, American politician, 43rd President of the United States
- July 15 - Linda Ronstadt, American singer
- August 1 - Chris Tulloch, English filmmaker
- August 19 – Bill Clinton, American politician 42nd President of the United States
- August 23 - Keith Moon, English drummer (The Who) (d. 1978)
- September 1 – Barry Gibb, Singer/Songwriter (Bee Gees)
- September 5 — Freddie Mercury, British Singer/Songwriter (Queen) (d. 1991; AIDS)
- October 29 - Peter Green, English singer-songwriter and guitarist (Fleetwood Mac) (d. 2020)
- November 4 – Laura Bush, 45th First Lady of the United States
- November 6 - Fred Penner, Canadian children’s musician
- November 24 - Ted Bundy, English serial killer (d. 1989; executed)
- November 26 - Mark L. Lester, American film director
- November 28 - Joe Dante, American film director
- December 16 - Benny Andersson, Swedish pianist (ABBA)
- December 28 – Edgar Winter, Albino pop musician (The Edgar Winter Group)
- December 30 – Patti Smith, American singer and poet