2016 (twenty sixteen) (MMXVI) was a leap year starting on Friday of the Gregorian calendar, the 2016th year of the Common Era (CE) and Anno Domini (AD) designations, the 16th year of the 3rd millennium, the 16th year of the 21st century, and the 7th year of the 2010s decade.
|Centuries:||20th century – 21st century – 22nd century|
|Decades:||1980s 1990s 2000s – 2010s – 2020s 2030s 2040s|
|Years:||2013 2014 2015 – 2016 – 2017 2018 2019|
The year was designated as the International Year of Pulses by the sixty-eighth session of the United Nations General Assembly.
- January 3 – Following the fallout caused by the execution of Nimr al-Nimr, Saudi Arabia ends its diplomatic relations with Iran.
- January 8 – Joaquín Guzmán, widely regarded as the world's most powerful drug trafficker, is recaptured following his escape from a maximum security prison.
- January 10 – Singer, musician and actor David Bowie died of cancer two days after his 69th birthday.
- January 16 – The International Atomic Energy Agency announces that Iran has adequately dismantled its nuclear weapons program, allowing the United Nations to lift sanctions immediately.
- January 28 - WHO announces an outbreak of the Zika Virus.
- October 13 – Bhumibol Adulyadej, King of Thailand, dies aged 88 after more than 70 years on the throne. He was the world's longest-serving head of state at the time of his death.
- November 8 – Donald Trump wins the United States Presidential election while Republicans retain control of Congress.
- November 25 - Former President of Cuba Fidel Castro dies aged 90.
Predicted events Edit
- April 4 – Square root day.
- May 9 – Transit of Mercury
- June 11 – July 3 – 2016 European Football Championship (Host scheduled to be picked in May 2010)
- June 29 – Analog shut-off in Brazil
Unknown dates Edit
- European Capital Of Culture 2016 – European Union choose two European cities, from Poland and from Spain to become the European Capitals Of Culture in this year.
- The right for the U.S. forces to use Diego Garcia in the Chagos Islands as a military base will end at this year, but there will be a provision for an automatic extension for another 20 years for the US forces to remain stationed on the island.
- Start of unmanned test flights of Altair for future U.S. lunar landings.
- ITER, an international scientific experiment (2nd largest worldwide ever) into developing nuclear fusion as an energy source will boot up for the first time.
- Files concerning Rudolf Hess made open to the public
- The Centralia, Pennsylvania time capsule will open
- NASA Juno, Jupiter orbiter
- The world's largest suspension bridge will be completed, connecting Sicily and main land Italy.
In fiction Edit
Computer and video games Edit
- Games set in 2016:
- Ghostbusters II (1989): According to a guest on Peter Venkman's talk show, the end of the world will occur on February 14.
Television series Edit
- Neon Genesis Evangelion (1995–1996): The controversial completion of the top-secret Human Instrumentality Project brings about the apocalyptic Third Impact, merging all human individuals into a single consummate being.
- In an episode of Phil of the Future, Phil states that chores were banned in the year 2016.
- The Vampire Dairies Elena/ Nina Dobrev will come back!
- "Agence France-Presse on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 2016-01-03.
- "'El Chapo': Sean Penn interviewed Guzman before recapture". BBC News. 10 January 2016. Retrieved 10 January 2016.
- "Iran nuclear deal: 'New chapter' for Tehran as sanctions end". BBC. 17 January 2016. Retrieved 17 January 2016.
- "'Zika virus spreading explosively'". CNN. 28 January 2016. Retrieved 28 January 2016.
Other websites Edit
Media related to 2016 at Wikimedia Commons