|Centuries:||20th century – 21st century – 22nd century|
|Decades:||1980s 1990s 2000s – 2010s – 2020s 2030s 2040s|
|Years:||2013 2014 2015 – 2016 – 2017 2018 2019|
The year was designated as the International Year of Pulses by the sixty-eighth session of the United Nations General Assembly.
- January 3 – Following the fallout caused by the execution of Nimr al-Nimr, Saudi Arabia ends its diplomatic relations with Iran.
- January 8 – Joaquín Guzmán, widely regarded as the world's most powerful drug trafficker, is recaptured following his escape from a maximum security prison.
- January 16 – The International Atomic Energy Agency announces that Iran has adequately dismantled its nuclear weapons program, allowing the United Nations to lift sanctions immediately.
- January 28 - WHO announces an outbreak of the Zika Virus.
- November 8 – Donald Trump wins the United States Presidential election while Republicans retain control of Congress.
- April 4 – Square root day.
- May 9 – Transit of Mercury
- June 11 – July 3 – 2016 European Football Championship (Host scheduled to be picked in May 2010)
- June 29 – Analog shut-off in Brazil
- European Capital Of Culture 2016 – European Union choose two European cities, from Poland and from Spain to become the European Capitals Of Culture in this year.
- The right for the U.S. forces to use Diego Garcia in the Chagos Islands as a military base will end at this year, but there will be a provision for an automatic extension for another 20 years for the US forces to remain stationed on the island.
- Start of unmanned test flights of Altair for future U.S. lunar landings.
- ITER, an international scientific experiment (2nd largest worldwide ever) into developing nuclear fusion as an energy source will boot up for the first time.
- Files concerning Rudolf Hess made open to the public
- The Centralia, Pennsylvania time capsule will open
- NASA Juno, Jupiter orbiter
- The world's largest suspension bridge will be completed, connecting Sicily and main land Italy.
- Don't Be So Shy - Imany
- Walking on a Dream - Empire of the Sun
- No (Meghan Trainor song) - Meghan Trainor
- I Took a Pill in Ibiza - Mike Posner
- Arigato (song) - Julie Bergan
- Work (Rihanna song) - Rihanna and Drake
- Dessert (song) - Dawin
- Formation (song) - Beyoncé
- Me, Myself, and I (song) - G-Eazy and Bebe Rexha
- WTF (Where They From) - Missy Elliott
- Dangerous Woman - Ariana Grande
- Ma Ucide Ea - Mihail
- ...Make Me - Britney Spears and G-Eazy
- Send My Love (To Your New Lover) - Adele
- Cheap Thrills - Sia
- Love Yourself - Justin Bieber
- Used to Love You - Gwen Stefani
- Out of the Woods - Taylor Swift
- 7 Years - Lukas Graham
- Just Like Fire - Pink (singer)
- La Bicicleta - Carlos Vives and Shakira
- Lazarus (song) - David Bowie
- When I Wake up Tomorrow - Cheap Trick
- From the Pinnacle to the Pit - Ghost (band)
- The Sound of Silence - Disturbed
- Hardwired - Metallica
- Vice (song) - Miranda Lambert
- Mr. Misunderstood - Eric Church
- Tennessee Whiskey - Chris Stapleton
- Home Alone Tonight - Luke Bryan and Karen Fairchild
- Drunk On Your Love - Brett Eldredge
- lights Come On - Jason Aldean
- Hands to Myself- Selena Gomez
- Me and my Girls- Selena Gomez
- Kill Them With Kindness- Selena Gomez
- Entire Revival Album- Selena Gomez
Computer and video gamesEdit
- Games set in 2016:
- Ghostbusters II (1989): According to a guest on Peter Venkman's talk show, the end of the world will occur on February 14.
- Neon Genesis Evangelion (1995–1996): The controversial completion of the top-secret Human Instrumentality Project brings about the apocalyptic Third Impact, merging all human individuals into a single consummate being.
- In an episode of Phil of the Future, Phil states that chores were banned in the year 2016.
- The Vampire Dairies Elena/ Nina Dobrev will come back!
- "Agence France-Presse on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 2016-01-03.
- "'El Chapo': Sean Penn interviewed Guzman before recapture". BBC News. 10 Jan 2016. Retrieved 10 Jan 2016.
- "Iran nuclear deal: 'New chapter' for Tehran as sanctions end". BBC. 17 Jan 2016. Retrieved 17 January 2016.
- "'Zika virus spreading explosively'". CNN. 28 Jan 2016. Retrieved 28 Jan 2016.
Media related to 2016 at Wikimedia Commons